• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Mirror Site ".com" For A Local Website "cctld"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 T.N

T.N

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

Dears,

First, Is it possible for a website that runs with a country specific cctld for any country, say ".us, .fr, etc.." to have a mirror site  with ".com"

The idea behind that is my client has fears about facing physical presence problems in the country he is targeting with his local website, and in case his cctld was closed for not having a local physical presence on that country he won't loose his business by running the ".com" copy of the website.

Second, in case the 2 sites are running without closing any of them, I believe that is definitely a duplicate content. Will using canonical tags or redirects be helpful so as to gain power for both websites simultaneously? Or one should be closed first to help the other get the power without causing SEO damage to the other site?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by T.N, 16 April 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

Using redirects or canonicals will send a strong signal that only one version of the site should count. Apparently, that's not what you're looking to accomplish.

If you want both versions to show up, but for different audiences, you could try using the hreflang tag, even if both versions are in the same language. And of course, both versions will be in the same language if what you're talking about really is a mirror site, but that's not going to work either. One site can't be an exact copy of the other if site A is going to contain a tag saying site B is an alternate version of the site intended for a different audience and vice-versa.

To do that, you can't have one site set up as a mirror of the other. They'll each need their own hosting, and I'm not sure that what you're trying to accomplish is worth the effort of managing two different sites. That's up to you.

One option might be to run the mirror site with a different TLD and hope that that signal alone is enough for the search engine to get the message.

Edited by qwerty, 16 April 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#3 T.N

T.N

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

Thanks qwerty,

I might haven't explain the problem correctly for my poor language..

what I mean is to have 2 copies of the website with 2 domains and 2 hostings.

For example "MyLocalDomain.us" and the other is "MyLocalDomain.com" almost same content "e-commerce"

the purpose is to maintain the business running once the ".us" website is closed. So, the international ".com" domain maintain working.

Thanks..

Edited by T.N, 16 April 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Then just 301 redirect the .us to the .com.

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

If the idea is to shut down one site and keep the other, then I agree with Jill. You'll have to maintain hosting for the old site in order to keep the redirect in place, but that would be the way to go.

But unless I'm misunderstanding you, there's a period during which you want both sites to be live, and not to be quite identical, and I'm guessing the intention behind that is to serve slightly different content to different audiences. Is that correct?

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,618 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

TN, the way I'm reading it, it's not so much that there are plans to shut down the local TLD site as there are fears the local TLD site may be shut down someday because the client does not actually have a physical presence in that country.

If I'm understanding the situation correctly, I would transfer everything to the .com domain (with a 301 redirect as Jill advised) and forget about the local TLD entirely. If your intention is to target only a specific country, make sure the .com is locally hosted and use Google webmaster tools geotargeting to let them know your "generic" .com is intended for a specific regional audience: http://support.googl...en&answer=62399

Then you don't have to worry about all the crazy mirror site stuff. Just maintain and promote the .com with no worries about being shut down for not having a local presence.

--Torka :propeller:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!