• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Penguin Recovery

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 devoteddomains

devoteddomains

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

It doesn't matter that you ranked for it before. According to the new algorithm your site is no longer the best to show. Period.

I understand what you are trying to say, but this is simply not the case here. For the main keyword that I am describing we do not even feature in the first 300 results, and we are talking a fairly low competition keyword. Plus if you add another word on to the keyword in question to make it a two word search phrase we rank number 1, even above Wikipedia.

My website has a great link profile and relevant content all relating to this keyword so it is clear to see that it has been penalised by the Penguin algorithm. Once the algorithm has been refreshed and my website (hopefully) returns to the rankings for that particular keyword I will report back here to prove my point.

#17 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

Once the algorithm has been refreshed and my website (hopefully) returns to the rankings for that particular keyword I will report back here to prove my point.

I'm not sure if that's how it works, but it might. Definitely keep us informed.

#18 devoteddomains

devoteddomains

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

I'm not sure if that's how it works

I didn't think so either Michael Martinez seemed convinced it was, that's why I posted the video as it seems to suggest that it should be more of an automatic thing once your links have all be recrawled, but we shall see....

#19 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

Yes it is, try reading this: http://www.seroundta...date-14887.html or the countless other articles regarding Penguin. This is a direct quote from Matt Cutts. This was in the build up to the Penguin release on April 24th 2012, it's irrefutable.

READ THIS ARTICLE (Cf. http://googlewebmast...gh-quality.html) and ignore everything else about Penguin.  Or continue to wallow in your ignorance.  It's your choice.

#20 devoteddomains

devoteddomains

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Or continue to wallow in your ignorance. 

I read that article long before you even sent it the first time, not sure why you have sent it again?

I present you with evidence directly from Matt Cutts himself and you choose to ignore it and resort to petty digs like that. I am actually very well read on the subject so ignorance is certainly not the correct term, you're obviously not one to admit when you are wrong.

#21 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

READ THIS ARTICLE (Cf. http://googlewebmast...gh-quality.html) and ignore everything else about Penguin.  Or continue to wallow in your ignorance.  It's your choice.

Doesn't that just reinforce what the OP has been saying in this thread? 

#22 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

No, it completely ignores the "over-optimization" point of view because, in reality, Penguin was never about that.  Witness what Matt actually said AFTER Penguin was released (as cited on Search Engine Land):

“I think ‘over-optimization’ wasn’t the best description, because it blurred the distinction between white hat SEO and webspam. This change is targeted at webspam, not SEO, and we tried to make that fact more clear in the blog post.

I'm a little testy today because my allergies are killing me.  The trees won't stop being trees.  Sorry.

#23 devoteddomains

devoteddomains

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Yes he did say it

wasn’t the best description

however it depends on your point of view and he is not denying that is how it could be defined. Anything that you do to actively build links into your website (self promote) or make sure that a keyword is mentioned prominently on your page could be considered "webspam" and not White Hat SEO if you take it in it's strictest context. No harm done :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.