• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

What Is Working For Link Building

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 seodude21

seodude21

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Have you guys seen that link building is still working? Are you focusing more of your efforts on content and blog marketing or guest blog posting? I am trying to determine what I need to do to push things forward with my  project.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,038 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Have you guys seen that link building is still working?

Only if you think that "working" means promoting a single URL for a couple of words.

#3 seodude21

seodude21

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

I would consider "working" to mean using organic rankings to increase traffic and conversions. Part of my strategy is definitely to get strategic words to show up higher in the SERPs. I am using social and content as part of that strategy. I am asking if you have noticed any link building tactics that seem to be working better than others. I have been doing a lot of guest blog posting. I am asking if others are still doing this kind of work.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,038 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:03 AM

I have been doing a lot of guest blog posting. I am asking if others are still doing this kind of work.

You are at the wrong forum for asking questions like that. You should really read the Tips for New SEOs and learn about real SEO.

Edited by chrishirst, 17 April 2013 - 05:05 AM.

#5 seodude21

seodude21

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Wow, learn about real SEO. You have a real punk attitude. You being a moderator make me want to leave this board. I have been in the industry for over 5 years. I probably have more experience than you. Your avitar is an exact picture of how I imagine you looking. Peace out, buddy.

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

Wow, five whole years, huh? I am impressed. :)

But you know, a gentle hint here. You might want to do a little research into who you're talking to before you start bragging about your big bad five whole years of experience. It's just possible that the person you're talking to joined this board TEN years ago, so was already a moderator with considerable industry experience before you even got started in the biz. :eek:

Just saying.

So, moving on. If you've read around on this board (as I assume you have; that's just good netiquette for a newcomer) you know we're pretty Old School as a rule. Our general philosophy is to not jump on whatever "latest big thing" bandwagon that comes rolling around the corner, because our experience has been that those are usually just ways to try to shortcut the process of what we like to call "real SEO."

So people who come here asking us to reveal all the "latest techniques" are usually disappointed. Because we tell them they should be doing the same things we've been advocating since the board opened in 2003:

• write useful, engaging content
  • let others know about what your site offers (this is just Marketing 101)
  • link out to good resources that your visitors would be interested in
  • seek links from sites that your target audience frequents.

That's pretty much all there is to it. No fancy "techniques" or latest-greatest schemes.

The "seeking links" part is the part that most of the folks who want the newest schemes never seem happy to hear about. Because what we're talking about there is hard work. It's not about dropping links in blog comments, or posting crap on dozens of forums so you can leave your link in your signature. It's not about writing crappy generic "guest posts" and placing them on blogs that nobody reads. (Primarily because they're full of crappy generic "guest posts.") It's not about creating tired "infographics" that impart no actual "info" but are simply intended to give you something to "go viral" on Pinterest. It's not about social bookmarking or spamming yourself all over Facebook or tweeting a nonstop stream of self-promotional crap (although, to be sure, a judicious use of social media is a component of good marketing).

In short, it's not about jumping on the latest scheme the shortcutters have devised to try to avoid doing the actual hard work of acquiring real links that will really last and will bring real benefits for a really long time.

Real link building is about developing relationships with other site owners. (Not just sending around a generic "I love your site, let's link to boost our mutual SEO" emails, but actually building a real relationship.) It's about making sure your site is something they will want to link to as a benefit for their customers/visitors. It's about building engagement on social media with real people, real prospects who are interested in what you offer, so that they will be inclined to share your content with their contacts.

It's slow, it's old-school and it's labor-intensive. So almost nobody does it. And as a result, when somebody does take the time and put in the work, it's usually wildly effective.

IMO, THAT is what works in link building today. And it's what worked in link building yesterday. And I predict it will be what works in link building tomorrow, and next week and on into the future as long as there are links to be built.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

• Michael Martinez likes this

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,038 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

. I probably have more experience than you

Then why do you have a problem with Google algorithm changes and I never have??

Your avitar is an exact picture of how I imagine you looking

Naaah!!!! You'll never catch me wearing white socks with 'flip-flops'

#8 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

A close look tells me those socks are transparent, not white!

• torka likes this

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

Yeah, and the shoes appear to be Chuck Taylors, not flip flops.

He knows SEO. Footwear, not so much, maybe? :rofl:

--Torka :propeller:

#10 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

He probably buys off the shelf. He's beyond being transparent. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!