• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Privacy Policy - Content Duplication

Best Answer torka , 15 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

There's tons of "content" on the web that's duplicated. Privacy policies, terms of service, shipping policies, return policies... all those "legalese" pages are going to be substantially similar for large numbers of sites.

Google will not penalize you for these. They just won't. They're smart people and they understand there are only so many ways you can say "this site collects cookies" or "we process orders within 24 hours" or "returns require a Return Material Authorization number".

Instead of blindly running around in a panic because of what some so-called "expert" declared, let's stop and think for ourselves for a minute, shall we? :smart:

Since Google requires you to have the policy in order to run Adsense ads, blocking it so they can't tell you're complying with their rules doesn't seem like a very good idea, does it? :hmm:

And since they require you to have the policy, and they even tell you what information needs to be in it, and point you to a resource to help you write the policy, they're bound to know that most policies out there will be substantially the same, right? :type:

So what this "expert" is saying is that Google has told you to write a policy, pointed you to a resource to help you write it, thereby practically guaranteeing that most such policies out there are the same or very nearly so -- and then they're going to turn around and penalize sites for doing exactly what they require you to do, unless you hide the policy from them, thereby making it harder and more labor intensive for them to verify you've actually put the policy in place to start with. :fool:

Does this make sense? Not to me. So -- if it were me -- my first inclination would be to seriously question the credentials of this "expert." And my second action would be to just post the darned privacy policy and move on. :)

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tushar69

tushar69

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hi,

For adding Google Adsense Ads in our site, we have to add a "privacy Policy" page in our site which covers the "The DoubleClick cookie" information. It seems that many of the people use "Privacy Policy Generator" and they get it easily.  I have seen that almost 95% contents of "Privacy Policy" are same in every websites who have Google Adsense ads on it.

My question is, Does it hurt SEO?

I am saying this as because I have heard some people saying that Google Ignores those Privacy Policy content as for rankings and it does not hurt SEO. But, I can't believe it? Now, I need your suggestion about it.

I have got other solution. Some seo expert said, I can no-follow the page so that Google can't read the content. Some others said, Block it from the robots.txt page. I am really confused about it.

I need a clear suggestion and solution about it :D

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

If it's on its own page, I don't see how it could cause you any problems. Having one page containing privacy policy information doesn't change the content of any other page, apart from a link in your main nav and/or footer.

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:20 AM   Best Answer

There's tons of "content" on the web that's duplicated. Privacy policies, terms of service, shipping policies, return policies... all those "legalese" pages are going to be substantially similar for large numbers of sites.

Google will not penalize you for these. They just won't. They're smart people and they understand there are only so many ways you can say "this site collects cookies" or "we process orders within 24 hours" or "returns require a Return Material Authorization number".

Instead of blindly running around in a panic because of what some so-called "expert" declared, let's stop and think for ourselves for a minute, shall we? :smart:

Since Google requires you to have the policy in order to run Adsense ads, blocking it so they can't tell you're complying with their rules doesn't seem like a very good idea, does it? :hmm:

And since they require you to have the policy, and they even tell you what information needs to be in it, and point you to a resource to help you write the policy, they're bound to know that most policies out there will be substantially the same, right? :type:

So what this "expert" is saying is that Google has told you to write a policy, pointed you to a resource to help you write it, thereby practically guaranteeing that most such policies out there are the same or very nearly so -- and then they're going to turn around and penalize sites for doing exactly what they require you to do, unless you hide the policy from them, thereby making it harder and more labor intensive for them to verify you've actually put the policy in place to start with. :fool:

Does this make sense? Not to me. So -- if it were me -- my first inclination would be to seriously question the credentials of this "expert." And my second action would be to just post the darned privacy policy and move on. :)

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

• Jill and tushar69 like this

#4 tushar69

tushar69

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

Thanks torka. I liked the way you have pointed out everything what I needed. Now, everthing seems clear to me and what I said about blocking from robotx.txt file & no-followthe page - those does not make any sense. Now, It's time to put a "Privacy Policy" on site without blocking & no-following and cut off the penalization fear from my mind :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!