• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Do Sub Domains Improve Rankings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thp

thp

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:31 AM

Hi everyone! I have taken over the website SEO for a new client and have noticed the previous SEO supplier has used sub domains to try and improve search engine rankings. They buried a series of links 4 levels down in the site structure and then linked each of the links to a single page in it's own sub domain, which was optimised for a particular variation of the same phrase. For example, wedding services london was linked from www.domainname.com/link.php to london.domainname.com, wedding services birmingham was linked from same page to birmingham.domainname.com etc etc.

Obviously, the above is bad SEO practice but it got me thinking why they thought, linking to a single page on a sub domain would give better ranking results, rather than just link to a real page in the main website. Are they seriously misled or is this a "black hat" technique that appears to fool Search Engines?

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

I vote for "seriously misled."

--Torka :propeller:

• Jill likes this

#3 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

Yes, seriously misled but also a Black Hat Technique that used to work many years ago but now is likely to cause more harm than good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!