• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Artist Bios On Every Page

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 senorblowfish

senorblowfish

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

I am working on a site that sells artwork prints online. On each page offering a print of an artist's work, the artist's bio appears before a text description of the piece. In some cases, the same artist's bio appears on as many as 200 different pages (because the site sells that number of the artist's pieces).

Since a canonical link has to be listed in the <head> section of a page, designating the entire page subordinate to the "master" page containing the bio, how do I tell Google that a section of the text on each art print's page is canonical?  In other words, some of the text on the page (about the print) is unique, but the info about the artist is duplicated on other print pages.

Suggestions?

Scott

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,980 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

There's no need to. It's likely fine as long as there's a lot of other content on the page as well. Google understands that certain text is going to be on more than one page.

#3 senorblowfish

senorblowfish

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

OK, thanks, Jill. I guess I was just nervous because the same content is on up to 200 pages, and even though there is other unique content on the page, the bio constitutes as much as 60% of the text on the page.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,980 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

You could just put that info in a graphic. 

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,635 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

Or put your artist bios on separate pages and link from the artwork pages: "Click here to learn more about the artist, view additional art and find out what inspires her to create such glorious prints..."

If you do the individual artist pages, you could also include a small photo gallery of representative prints on each one, or a site search pre-set to find additional prints by the same artist. Or both. This could possibly help customers if the print they originally landed on was "close but no cigar".

I understand, of course, for a site the size of yours that would be a lot of work. Just an idea...

--Torka :propeller:

• Jill likes this

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Or you could put each artist bio into an iFrame and on that iFramed page add a "robots" meta directive that says "noindex,noarchive".

Assuming you have 400 artists with an average of 10 items per artist, you would have to create 400 iFrameable pages (each NoIndexing itself) that would appear about 4000 times (cumulatively) on other pages.

This sounds like a lot of work but if you're also reproducing other boilerplate text (such as disclaimers, copyright notices, etc.) across the site then you can reduce that by using some iFramed pages as well.

#7 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:12 AM

Yes MM, that would be my approach as well.

Totally avoids duplication and also allows a global change or update to be carried out very simply.

#8 senorblowfish

senorblowfish

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Michael, to be clear, you would apply the robots.txt directive to each print's page (that repeats the bio via the iframe) or would you put the noindex,nofollow on the bio page (from which the bio populated in iframe on each print page is pulled)?

I'd like Google to index each print's page with the original content on the print, just not the bio content that is being replicated.

Thanks!

#9 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

The Iframe would be a separate file and a Web Document in it's own right. As such there would be no Duplication as each Artist Bio would only exist once.

Each individual Artwork Page would include the Iframe visually in a rectangular area but the content of the Iframe would not be part of that "Parent Web Page" that called it up.

Also, each Artiost Bio would only need updating and edited just once to take effect site wide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!