• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

When Should I Start Backlinking My Site?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tushar69

tushar69

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

Hi,

I have some questions about releasing website for the first time, backlinks and robots.txt file. Below are my questions and I need all questions answered and It will help me a lot.

1. With how much post and pages should I submit my site to Google and Bing? Are there any rules about it or NOT? & what will be the best?

2. When should I start backlinking my site. Should I start after 1month OR Start with the beginning? I have seen a lot of SEO experts saying that they will start backlinking after 3 months, in the meantime, they will do both on-page & on-site SEO.

3. I have found that many SEO experts said that below is the proper robots.txt file for wordpress.....What do you say about it? Will it wise to block tags, category, replytocom?

Sitemap: http://example.com/sitemap.xml

User-agent:  *
Disallow: /cgi-bin/
Disallow: /wp-admin/
Disallow: /wp-content/
Disallow: /wp-includes/
Disallow: /recommended/
Disallow: /comments/feed/
Disallow: /trackback/
Disallow: /category/
Disallow: /tag/
Disallow: /archives/
Disallow: ?comments=*
Disallow: /index.php
Disallow: /xmlrpc.php
Disallow: *?wptheme
Disallow: /search?
Disallow: /wp-content/plugins/

Disallow: *?replytocom

User-agent: Googlebot-Image
Disallow: wp-content/uploads/

I am waiting for the answers :)

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,016 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

1. With how much post and pages should I submit my site to Google and Bing? Are there any rules about it or NOT? & what will be the best?

Never, No & get some decent links.

2. When should I start backlinking my site

As soon as there is something worth linking to.

3. I have found that many SEO experts said that below is the proper robots.txt file for wordpress...

There isn't a 'proper' one, though the sections mentioned are reasonably sensible (makes a change for SEO "experts". But just block what areas YOU do not want indexed.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

If you're disallowing indexation of archive, tag, and category pages, that just leaves the home page and the individual posts. That might be fine -- it's certainly going to keep you from running into duplicate content issues (with the possible exception of posts on the home page), but depending on the nature of your content, you might find that having category pages crawled and indexed might serve you well. I guess it depends on whether the name of the category is a keyword you want organic traffic for, and whether individual posts within that category are going to be sufficiently relevant to make that happen.

It's a decision you're going to have to make for yourself. As Chris pointed out, there really isn't some standard robots.txt file that's right for every site, or even for every WordPress site.

#4 tushar69

tushar69

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

Thanks to both Chris & Querty. I have got it. Now, I am feeling happy. I had so much confusion about these 3 topics and now all are gone :)

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

I would never disallow TAG, CATEGORY, and ARCHIVE pages.  If you're creating them for the user then they are good for the search engine.

As for duplicate content -- just publish excerpts on those pages and never create duplicate lists of posts in TAGS, CATEGORIES, and ARCHIVES.

• torka likes this

#6 DiviFernando

DiviFernando

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

If you're creating them for the user then they are good for the search engine.

I don't think so Michael. Some pages are for the users who are already in the site, but some pages are useless for users of the search engine that are potential visitors to your site. You could save some of your site's bot crawling time by directing them to important pages of your site that are worthy of indexing and being displayed in search rather than letting them crawl all the pages that are seemingly important from the user point of view.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!