• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Does Anyone Here Really Understand Pingbacks?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

I have two pingback requests (are they requests?) that come from pretty decent blogs, i.e. they seem to be well maintained and content specific to us.

Is this a form of flattery? What does it really mean? Are we agreeing to syndicate links?

Yes, I can Google this question but i thought to get your opinion in this matter first.

Thanks

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,069 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

What is to understand? Someone mentions your post by linking to it and if you have ping tracking on, your blog will let you know and allow you to show that mention near the comments of your blog.

#3 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

I just never understood them but they came from nice websites. Could they be used for nefarious reasons?

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,179 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

Pingbacks were originally intended to help bloggers become aware of and supportive of each other.  They can be faked and have been abused by spammers looking for links and hackers.

Because most if not all blog platforms now routinely add the "rel='nofollow'" link attribute to any links embedded in comments, it's safer to allow pingbacks on your posts than it was a few years ago.

Before approving a pingback I check to see that it is coming from a real link on a real blog.  If I don't like the blog for any reason I delete the pingback.  If I think the blog is okay and the link is legitimate I will probably approve it.

Showing pingbacks in your comments can at least help people see that others have read your content.  It may or may not help with attracting more repeat visitors, more comments, etc.  I haven't really done any tests for that.

But I do see that -- when I publish relevant pingbacks between my own sites -- people sometimes click on the links to visit the other articles.

Edited by Michael Martinez, 10 April 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#5 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

yeah thanks....ive kept the few pingbacks i have - some seem to be from very similar no-bs sites so that is encouraging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!