• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Multiple Versions Of Home Page?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jmatura

jmatura

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Could somebody help me undertand the below... According to an article I was reading the below can be a cause of duplicate content...

- various versions of the home page (e.g. www.site.com and www.site.com/index.php);

What is meant by this?  How would I know if my server exibits this along with fix?

Thanks

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,667 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

It's a reference to the fact that the default document of a site (or of a directory within a site) can be reached both at the address of the site (or directory) or at the full URL of the document itself. So it's not really different versions of the page -- it's just one page, but the server may display it at different URLs. A search engine that finds the page at more than one URL might conclude that that it's the other way around: that you've got more than one document containing identical content.

How would you know if your server does this? Just check to see if the page can be reached at both URLs, without a redirect taking place. When you request site.com/index.html (or/default.aspx, or whatever your server is set up to call a default document), does the page display with that exact URL staying in the location bar, or did the server get the request for site.com/index.html and redirect you to site.com?

You should also check to see if the search engine gets that it's just one page. When you search for cache:www.site.com and cache:www.site.com/index.html, do you get results for both? At the top of that result, do you see the URL you asked for at the end of "This is Google's cache of..." or does it tell you that you're looking at the cache of site.com when you request the cache of site.com/index.html?

Edited by qwerty, 07 April 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,164 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

It's rarely, if ever, a problem these days despite what most stupid SEO tools (and many consultants) will tell you. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!