• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Copied Content Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmatura

jmatura

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

I have read Jill's article "SEO and Duplicate Content Issues That Hurt Google Traffic" and found articles of mine that have been re-published without my permission.

In reference to "If a lot of dupes show up in the search results, you may have a Google duplicate content issue."  I have found 7 of my 80 articles copied by about a 16 spam sites or pasted in a forum. Is that a problem?

Edited by jmatura, 03 April 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,125 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Does yours show up first for a search on the articles Title or does theirs? 

If it's  yours, then it's not a problem, and vice versa.

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

Yes, I think it is a problem, for several reasons.

Jill points out that it's not a problem if your original article is showing up higher in the search results than the copies. True enough, but you've got to keep in mind that what you are seeing in the search results isn't necessarily what other people are seeing. You might well see your own article rank well, but a user in a different country, or with a different search history, or with whatever other factors Google takes into acount, might see your page way down in the results and the offending copies at the top.

And even if you were sure that most people are seeing your article first today, that doesn't mean they always will in the future.

It's also possible that any links that your article would attract might go to the copy rather than the original. The person creating the link would probably not realise that a given article is an unauthorised copy.

And, finally, you might simply feel that you don't want to be ripped off this way. You might even want to take action for no better reason than to discourage this kind of theft.

Personally, I would go to at least a little effort to stamp on the unauthorised copies. I've often done that for my own articles, and have had a good success rate.

Mike

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,125 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

Also if you're using rel=author it should be less of a problem. 

#5 jeypandian7

jeypandian7

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

You should check to see if it was copied by a scraper/automated method or manually copied by hand. If it was copied by a scraper, you can probably write a script that diversifies your anchor text when the scraper comes around so you build free attribution links to your site as they copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!