• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

301 Redirect Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StevenSmith71917

StevenSmith71917

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

One of my client was having his domain name with .in extension. But, his target audience is US people. Since, his domain was .in extension he faced lot of problems to promote his website in the US and in other countries except India. So, I suggested him to register a new domain with .com extension and told him to 301 redirect that .in domain to new .com domain. Some of his keywords for the domain .in is having good ranking in the search engine google.com. Since, I suggested him to redirect his .in to .com will the keywords have same ranking in the Google? I too suggested him to replace his backlinks with the new URL. I just want to know whether this technique is effective or not. If not please suggest me some other options to promote the keywords of new .com domain.

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

There are no guarantees in life but if the keywords are relatively non-competitive your client should continue to see decent traffic coming from those keywords.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,608 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Is the business based in India? Where is the server located? Have you checked to see where his search traffic was coming from (not which version of Google, but the IP addresses of the users)?

I'm asking because your client may lose Indian traffic if they go all out in an effort to get traffic from the US, and based on what you've posted, I have no way of knowing whether or not that's going to be OK. It might turn out that the business is best served by setting up a US site, but not redirecting the .in site to it. They might be better off having both, or at least having content targeted to both audiences on a single site.

#4 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

If, after reading Qwerty's post, you feel sure that he wants US traffic even at the expense of Indian traffic, there's one other thing you could consider: Use Google Webmaster Tools to geo-target the site to the US.

I don't know how effective that would be - probably less so that taking a .com site and doing the re-directs - but it has the advantage of being quick and easy. You can do it today. So it might be worth trying, at least as a short-term measure.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!