It's good news that you have a blog and even better if its on the topic and keywords your website ranks for. Also smart move creating the Google+ profile, it is going to help you top the SERPs, now or in the near future. Google just might release something called an Author Rank in the near future. Also, to me it makes sense why Google would want to rank authors. See, for sites like that of your competitor gaining high SE ranking must be easy by earning links or manipulating their code but they can never associate their site to an author as it genuinely calls for some hard work and lots of time investment. You certainly seem to have invested a lot of time bringing up your site on SERP (6 years I believe) now its time you invest time on bringing up your authority as an individual that owns that site and the content therein. So, let's not go into author rank for now as it is not officially announced but I think building a Google authorship with your content will pay off in the future to fight these faceless SEO blackhatters.
To get Google Authorship:
- Add your blog and website link to the 'Contributor to' section under 'Profile'
- Take your profile link and add it to your WordPress blog and your site's backend. The html looks like this
Here is a WordPress plugin for Google Authorship
- Check your rich snippets to see if Google authorship works using the Google rich snippet tool.
My point is:
- When your content is associated with you, people will eventually recognize you as an authority on the topic and tend to click on search results that have your picture (from G+ profile).
- If author rank is a reality, you are a step higher than your competitors who have no content let alone one with a verified ownership.
- Search results with a picture of the author earns more click throughs than the plain ones.
Meanwhile, let us know if you were able to bring to Google's attention about your competitor site.