• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

What Is Tag Management?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

I received this email (unsolicited) the other day that reads:

I’ve been conducting a review of 3rd party tags on the MY SITE website via Ghostery. Based off the numerous tags I see firing on-site, I'd imagine your team is having conversations on Tag Management or will be soon.

For big sites like yours, website tag management is often cumbersome, error prone, and ultimately out of Marketing’s control. NAME OF WIDGET replaces every vendor tag on your site with a single line of code that never changes.

Tags can then be put up or taken down across the website with the click of a button, reducing IT hours and tag errors, improving website performance and data collection, and empowering marketing to take control of website tagging.

I'm confused as to what these all means - what do you guys think?

I understand "tag management" and <start> </start> - i.e. clean and correct syntax and markup. Obviously vital for your site to work but what is the message here?

The message also refers to "Vendor Tags" - what the heck are those?

> I guess this adds some color - http://www.google.co...anager/faq.html - are we saying that Vendor Tags is a bit like a pre-complier like LESS ?

I'm pretty competent with HTML5, CSS3, etc etc yadda yadda but I've never come across Vendor Tags?

Am confused. Thanks!

Edited by lister, 28 March 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

They probably add Google's tag manager to your site (which is free) and charge you hundreds or more to do it.

#3 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

would you advise to use Tag Manager (Google's) ?

I guess it depends on the purpose of your site but it seems to be that it is an analytics and advertising tool -

Seems odd that i never heard about it.

I must sound like I am typing this on a typewriter and using an abacus.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

I use it. It's handy if you have the need for adding any code to the first part of the BODY of your page at times. Other than that, no real reason to use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!