• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Fresh Content In Old Urls, Or Better Have New Urls?

Best Answer Jill , 28 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

Ok I understand.

So to your original question:

My question is: when I publish an article, does google robot recognize that it is new stuff, or does it remember that the URL was there for a long time and think it's not so new?

The content will be new and it will get indexed accordingly. (It really doesn't matter if it was there for a long time or if it's new anyway other than getting it spidered.)

Would I please Google better if the URLs were "unpublished" too and would appear at the same time as the article content?

To a certain extent that would be better for Google because you've got a whole bunch of what Google would consider "low quality pages" the way you have it now.

And again, the frustration factor for users.

I would make it so people can see what the next things are that are coming up, but not have them be clickable to another page/URL.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnRizzo

JohnRizzo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:34 AM

Hi,

My website has 100 articles. I know each article name and URL in advance and will publish one article every week.

All articles are already listed on the left nav area of the site, so people and robots can access to the URLs. But unpublished articles (most articles for the moment) just show the date when they will be published.

So, for example, let's say I've an article about "foo":

URL = myDomainName/article/foo

Now it just shows "foo is unpublished yet, come back in 30 days". Next month it will show the text content.

My question is: when I publish an article, does google robot recognize that it is new stuff, or does it remember that the URL was there for a long time and think it's not so new?

Would I please Google better if the URLs were "unpublished" too and would appear at the same time as the article content?

Hope my wording is clear.

Many thanks.

John.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,007 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

Are you sure that anyone but you can see the unpublished link?

If so, you'll want to remove that feature immediately. How frustrating to thing you're going to read content only to find that it's not really there!

#3 JohnRizzo

JohnRizzo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

Are you sure that anyone but you can see the unpublished link?

Everyone can see the links, but only priviledged users can see the content of these articles.

If so, you'll want to remove that feature immediately. How frustrating to thing you're going to read content only to find that it's not really there!

It's similar to a book. I know upftont that there are 100 chapters and I know their title and URL. The table of content (with the links) is on the site. But only one chapter is released every week. In 100 weeks all the content will be visible.

About the frustration, there is a visual difference in the ToC on the links to a published or unpublished article. It should lower expectations.

It's a non profit site about education. You can have a look but ... it's in french (while there is no need to understand the text to understand what I'm trying to do with the links): enseignement2.be

Thanks.

John.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,007 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:10 AM   Best Answer

Ok I understand.

So to your original question:

The content will be new and it will get indexed accordingly. (It really doesn't matter if it was there for a long time or if it's new anyway other than getting it spidered.)

To a certain extent that would be better for Google because you've got a whole bunch of what Google would consider "low quality pages" the way you have it now.

And again, the frustration factor for users.

I would make it so people can see what the next things are that are coming up, but not have them be clickable to another page/URL.

#5 JohnRizzo

JohnRizzo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for your wise reply!

John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!