• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Duplicated Website Name And Effect On Seo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nate

Nate

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

Hi,

I am new here and I am just starting to learn SEO. I came accress a problem I'm not really sure what to do with and was wondering if you guys could help me.

Some time ago I created a website which is a photograhy portfolio and a blog. The web address consists of a word that I created for the purporse of that website. Haven't seen it anywhere on the interent before registering my domain. Couple of months ago a preson from USA (I live in UK) registered a name similar to mine but just added "photography" at the end (even the logo looks similar to mine but that's another matter). Effects of that on search results are not very good as you can imagine. When I search for my website name I get all sort of mixed content from both mine and this persons website. 

My question is what can I do to improve my rankings in google? I am not aware of any way to force that person not to use the same name thus want to improve google rankings. All help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

If that name is a made-up word, then it's just branded searches that are going to be affected. Were you getting traffic on such searches before the other site showed up? Are you getting less now?

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

My question is what can I do to improve my rankings in google? I

See the tips for new SEOs.

#4 Nate

Nate

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

Thanks both. Actually, I didn't ask the right question, sorry. Obviously I will try to improve SEO generally as per link provided but is there anything specific that I could do to rank my website higher than the other website with similar name? Use the name in the post more for example?

#5 hawkinsmargarat

hawkinsmargarat

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

Thanks both. Actually, I didn't ask the right question, sorry. Obviously I will try to improve SEO generally as per link provided but is there anything specific that I could do to rank my website higher than the other website with similar name? Use the name in the post more for example?

That is called branding as you are mainly concern with the sitename issue here. Well I would suggets you to get some citations for your site using Your Brand name on Local websites and yellow pages etc. You shoudl focus more on your brandname linking rather than other main keywords. Also you can use your brandname in almost all of your pages' titles so that whenever someone search for your  brand name they can get more than one results from your own website.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,107 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

If you are checking for that word or phrase on a frequent basis (rank checking) you WILL see newly crawled/discovered high in the results, simply because Google does "rank" new URLs high for the first few weeks and will show them to searchers.

Also a 'made up word' will have little or no competition for position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!