• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Website Not Showing Anywhere For Keywords

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 handymanelectric

handymanelectric

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hi guys, I'm new here, and am just wondering a few things.

I'm wondering if anyone could take a look at my sitemap, and my Meta Tags to see if anything of poor quality pops up.

I won't paste them here for now, until someone asks, and says it's okay to do that here. I know some of the rules prohibit certain things, and since I'm new, I don't want to do something that could be avoided.

It's been a couple weeks since I've started submitting sitemaps and using Meta Tags on my site, and unless I type n the name of my site, I get nothing, in other words, typing any of my keywords don't find my site.

On Google WMT, I have the following information for my sitemap:

This Sitemap was submitted Mar 18, 2013, and processed Mar 20, 2013.

Web pages

Submitted: 6

Indexed: 2

Though it was processed only 2 days ago, I've been working on it, with some errors that I've since fixed.

I have two maps on my server, one a text file, and the other is xml. Is there anything that would cause these two to conflict? One is for Bing/Yahoo, and the other for Google.

Thanks for any help, and I apologize for the length.

Terry

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,244 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

I'm wondering if anyone could take a look at my sitemap, and my Meta Tags to see if anything of poor quality pops up.

Neither of which have ANYTHING to do with what your URLs might be shown to users for.

It's been a couple weeks since I've started submitting sitemaps and using Meta Tags on my site, and unless I type n the name of my site, I get nothing, in other words, typing any of my keywords don't find my site.

So a couple of weeks wasted then rather than doing anything useful.

CONTENT and the words in your content determine what SEs will show your URLs for.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,642 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Is it correct that the sitemap contains 6 URLs, or is there a problem with the search engine reading it? If there are in fact only 6 pages on the site, you probably don't even need a sitemap. I imagine every page on the site already links to every other page, so there shouldn't be any indexation issues.

#4 handymanelectric

handymanelectric

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

Is it correct that the sitemap contains 6 URLs, or is there a problem with the search engine reading it? If there are in fact only 6 pages on the site, you probably don't even need a sitemap. I imagine every page on the site already links to every other page, so there shouldn't be any indexation issues.

Well, there are only 4 pages, so I don't know where it gets 6. Four pages, plus the sitemap is what I submitted.

So, a small site, such as mine doesn't need a sitemap? OK, I can deal with that, I guess.

But, is there any way you guys could help me look for issues that would keep the site from showing up?

Thanks

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,244 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

http://www.highranki...subcontracting/

If the site is indexed (Google search site:site.tld or site:www.site.tld) then it is simply a case of Google's algorithm determining that the URLs are not useful/valuable/important enough to show to their users.

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,642 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

Actually, if there are 4 pages and the sitemap lists 6, then not only is the sitemap not useful, but it might be pointing out a problem with your internal linking (which makes the sitemap kind of useful after all). For example, your home page is at site.tld, but maybe the sitemap also lists it at site.tld/index.html, default.asp, or something like that. If that's the case, it probably means that you're linking back to your home page that way, and that's something you need to fix.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,072 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

But, is there any way you guys could help me look for issues that would keep the site from showing up?

Please see our tips for new SEOs.

#8 handymanelectric

handymanelectric

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

Actually, if there are 4 pages and the sitemap lists 6, then not only is the sitemap not useful, but it might be pointing out a problem with your internal linking (which makes the sitemap kind of useful after all). For example, your home page is at site.tld, but maybe the sitemap also lists it at site.tld/index.html, default.asp, or something like that. If that's the case, it probably means that you're linking back to your home page that way, and that's something you need to fix.

I hear what you're saying qwerty. I do have a site.tld/index.html in my sitemap, in addition to the site.tld

I also have my site.tld in two forms: site.tld and www.site.tld, with the www.site.tld as my preferred domain.

Currently, Google Webmaster Tools is indicating that there are 6 pages submitted, and 2 indexed, but I can't seem to find which pages are indexed.

EDIT: On the Configuration tab, it lists: 11 URLs submitted, 5 URLs indexed. idk what's up with that!

#9 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,642 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:42 AM

OK, you should set up 301 directs from requests for any page without www to that URL with www (or vice-versa, if you prefer), 301 redirects from /index.html to /, recode links to the home page to point just to /, and then, if you feel that it helps, recreate, republish and resubmit the sitemap (after counting the entries in it to make sure it only lists each unique page once).

#10 handymanelectric

handymanelectric

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

qwerty,

I think I got it working..I simply removed the /index.html link instead of learning how to do a 301.

I've got another issue, with keywords. Under Content Keywords, those that I believe to be MOST relevant (dealing with location), are considered by Google to be LEAST relevant. I'd like to copy/paste them here for you to see, but I'm not sure if that's alowed.

Anyway, how can I make my keywords relevant to the search engine?

~terry

#11 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,642 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

When you say that Google considers these keywords to be the least relevant, do you mean that they show up at the bottom of the list in the Content Keywords report in Webmaster Tools? That's really just based on how often Google found those words on the site, which is a factor in the measurement of relevance, but it's not the measurement itself. If you're not getting traffic for those keywords or ranking well for them, that's one of many factors that can affect such things.

The real question is whether you're getting organic search traffic for those keywords, and whether you could be getting more.

• handymanelectric likes this

#12 handymanelectric

handymanelectric

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

When you say that Google considers these keywords to be the least relevant, do you mean that they show up at the bottom of the list in the Content Keywords report in Webmaster Tools? That's really just based on how often Google found those words on the site, which is a factor in the measurement of relevance, but it's not the measurement itself. If you're not getting traffic for those keywords or ranking well for them, that's one of many factors that can affect such things.

The real question is whether you're getting organic search traffic for those keywords, and whether you could be getting more.

Yes, they are showing up at the bottom of the list, and yes, how do we get more (actually, any, since I'm getting none at the moment).

#13 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,642 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

The first step involves checking the keywords in question in the Adwords Keyword Tool to see if there's actually some volume of people searching on them. If not, you're trying to rank for the wrong keywords. No point in wasting your time to rank well for a phrase that won't bring you any business.

If they're the right keywords, you need to look at both on-page and off-page optimization. Do you have a page or two that are genuinely relevant to the keyword phrase? Is the phrase in the page's title tag? Does it appear at least once on the page? Are your internal links to the page using the phrase in the anchor text? Do you have links from other sites to the page? Do some of those links use the phrase in the anchor text? Does that page get traffic for other searches, and if so, would making changes to the page in order to improve its traffic for the phrase in question potentially hurt that traffic? Maybe you should consider creating a different page to target the phrase.

What about the pages on other sites that are ranking well for the keyword phrase? How do those pages differ from yours? Who's linking to those pages, and how?

#14 handymanelectric

handymanelectric

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

qwerty,

Thank you for all the help you've given.

Time goes on, and I'm still not ranking anywhere. I've read your suggestions, but  fear my comprehension level just isn't high enough.

I've used the Keyword tool, and have made some changes, but they don't seem to be of any help.

For instance, one of my keywords would be "location electrician", or Boonville, IN electrician", "newburgh indiana electrician". One would think that those two terms would be useful, but I'm not getting any traffic.

#15 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,072 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Time goes on, and I'm still not ranking anywhere. I've read your suggestions, but  fear my comprehension level just isn't high enough.

Time won't make your pages rank. Have you made changes to the pages and do other people even know your site exists?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!