• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Common Footer, Php Include And Google

Best Answer torka , 22 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

In other words, no matter which way you do it, Google will see it 100+ times. But 100+ times of a keyword stuffed footer might not be such a good thing. :)

--Torka :propeller:

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PeterW

PeterW

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Hi

Our site will have 100+ pages.  We want to have a common footer so are considering using:

<?php include 'footer.php' ?>

...so we only have to code the footer once per HTML page.

The footer will be keyword rich.

Will this strategy be ok from a Google perspective?   Ie with 100+ pages with the same footer, if we use PHP include will google only 'see' the footer once for our site (not 100+ times), and hence only process the keyword-rich footer once?   Hence we should forget using php include, and just copy/paste the footer for each page.

Or will Google see it for every page, 100+ of our site?  So using PHP include is fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

I've just been reading Jill's article: Sneaky Footer Links and Other Footer Abuses That Google Dislikes. It describes the footer issues better than I ever could.

But I would just add a word about PHP includes. Essentially, whatever you do on the server side will be invisible to Google. It's what actually appears in the browser that counts. It makes no difference whether you copy and paste the footer text, or generate it automatically. What's important is the the text itself.

Mike

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,579 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:17 PM   Best Answer

In other words, no matter which way you do it, Google will see it 100+ times. But 100+ times of a keyword stuffed footer might not be such a good thing. :)

--Torka :propeller:

#4 PeterW

PeterW

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Thanks Torka!

I should have been clearer, the footer will not be keyword-stuffed - it will just contain reasonable, sensible text with the keywords sensibly included.  No stuffing.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks Mike, super helpful. 

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,674 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

Or will Google see it for every page, 100+ of our site?  So using PHP include is fine

Hundreds of millions of URLs already do this why would it be a 'problem'?

#6 PeterW

PeterW

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

>> Or will Google see it for every page, 100+ of our site?  So using PHP include is fine

Hundreds of millions of URLs already do this why would it be a 'problem'?

I'm new to this.  I didn't know it was used by millions of sites.  Thankfully the advice from the good folks here have put my concerns to rest.  : :clapping:  

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,864 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

Bottom line is that search engines understand that there are certain parts of every site that is going to be on every page, headers, footers, global navigation, etc.

So of course it is not a problem unless it's being used for spammy purposes as per the article linked to above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!