• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Best Practices For Newly Acquired Hotel Properties

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ollan

ollan

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

My client is a huge resort company that acquires other resorts and hotels on a regular basis. Also acquired, of course, are the websites associated with these properties. Some of these websites do pretty good in the SERP's, have pagerank, and get a decent number of traffic and searches per month. My question is this: would it be a good idea to keep the acquired websites as is, and keep building on it, keeping it separate from the new parent resort? or would it be better to 301 redirect it to a specific section specially set up for the new property on the parent resort's main website? My initial inclination is to go with the latter, and pass all the juice to the parent site. What are your thoughts on this?

#2 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

If your client is a huge resort company, then this is a huge question of significant financial importance to them.  Typically, coming up with a strategy might involve a several hours discussion with the client and their online teams, several more hours of thinking and research, and then a strategy document and/or working alongside the client to implement the changes.

I really don't think you can get a meaningful answer to this question by asking for free advice on a forum where we can't even discuss the client and the specifics of the case.  Either approach you suggested might be right, and the strategy goes beyond pure SEO into other areas, e.g. to what your client wants to do with the brands they've acquired.

• Jill and torka like this

#3 ollan

ollan

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

thanks for the feedback

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Actually, it's rarely a good idea (from an SEO perspective) to shut down active Websites for the sake of consolidating brand data.

Alan is absolutely right to point that this kind of decision must be driven from the business side, not from the SEO side.  I have seen more than one large corporation (clients) destroy large amounts of sub-brand value by shutting down Websites and/or redirecting them.  As an SEO you see all the traffic vanish and you have a heart attack -- but it comes down to what is good for the business, not what is "good for SEO".

SEO must always support the business decision.  It can never be the other way around.

Edited by Michael Martinez, 25 March 2013 - 05:41 PM.

• torka likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!