• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Forum Posting For Back Links - Am I Doing It Wrong?

Best Answer Michael Martinez , 21 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

If the forums have dedicated marketing/classifieds sections then using them is an acceptable practice in itself (especially if they nofollow the links or block crawlers from the marketing sections, which many do these days).

But copying the same ad to each and every forum is generally frowned upon (I would not like that in my own forums although I know it happens from time to time).

These kinds of advertising sections work best for actual, productive, active, long-term forum members.  The other members of the community know your history and are more likely to trust you.

As far as "link building" goes, that is a path fraught with peril.  Yes, everyone in the SEO world says you need to build links (opinions vary on how many, how, and for how long, etc.).  Nonetheless, link building leads to a huge majority of the penalties and downgrades that Websites suffer in the search indexes.

It's better to write about your business, products, and services on a public blog that is quickly indexed by the search engines so that people find your site organically.  By building up visitors to your site gradually over time you earn their trust and from their feedback you learn how to publish the kinds of articles that they will share for you.

You can compensate for a lack of organic traffic through pay-per-click advertising (although if you need a lot of traffic right away it's better  to hire a professional to help you manage your campaigns than try to do it all yourself).

There are tons of ideas for attracting links published across the Web (most of them very bad ideas).  You should first read through the Google and Bing Webmaster guidelines so that you understand what is basically permitted; then begin experimenting on a small scale with simple ideas for attracting links and gradually improve your knowledge and skill.

Rapid link acquisition is your worst enemy.  Don't let anxiety about your competitors' "progress" drive your business plan.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MikeBanawa

MikeBanawa

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Alright, I have an ecommerce website and I joined in about 10 forums with the intention of using their classifieds section to post my products. What I'm doing is to create one AD Template for the day.

Here's an example (not my real product):

Hello Forumers!

ecommercesite.com is currently selling fresh stocks of iphone5

[insert picture here]

We are also offering this 50% off voucher for the first 10 buyers:

buyiphone5

Just type that in the voucher box in the checkout menu and we'll slash 50% off!

[insert anchor text here]

Thanks!

ecommercesite.com

and i copy that template paste it on all 10 Forums so I get 10 backlinks and potential inbound traffic from all 10 forums. My concern now is that I am using the same words in 10 forums. Will this be considered duplicate content? I have been doing this for a long time now and I just realized that this might hurt my rankings.

I really need your inputs guys.

Thanks!

MikeBanawa

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:51 AM   Best Answer

If the forums have dedicated marketing/classifieds sections then using them is an acceptable practice in itself (especially if they nofollow the links or block crawlers from the marketing sections, which many do these days).

But copying the same ad to each and every forum is generally frowned upon (I would not like that in my own forums although I know it happens from time to time).

These kinds of advertising sections work best for actual, productive, active, long-term forum members.  The other members of the community know your history and are more likely to trust you.

As far as "link building" goes, that is a path fraught with peril.  Yes, everyone in the SEO world says you need to build links (opinions vary on how many, how, and for how long, etc.).  Nonetheless, link building leads to a huge majority of the penalties and downgrades that Websites suffer in the search indexes.

It's better to write about your business, products, and services on a public blog that is quickly indexed by the search engines so that people find your site organically.  By building up visitors to your site gradually over time you earn their trust and from their feedback you learn how to publish the kinds of articles that they will share for you.

You can compensate for a lack of organic traffic through pay-per-click advertising (although if you need a lot of traffic right away it's better  to hire a professional to help you manage your campaigns than try to do it all yourself).

There are tons of ideas for attracting links published across the Web (most of them very bad ideas).  You should first read through the Google and Bing Webmaster guidelines so that you understand what is basically permitted; then begin experimenting on a small scale with simple ideas for attracting links and gradually improve your knowledge and skill.

Rapid link acquisition is your worst enemy.  Don't let anxiety about your competitors' "progress" drive your business plan.

Edited by Michael Martinez, 21 March 2013 - 09:52 AM.

• Jill, torka and MikeBanawa like this

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,616 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

If, as Michael suggests, these forums nofollow links or block search engine spiders from these pages, then this isn't link building at all. It's just advertising, and it's up to you to figure out the best way to advertise to the people who are likely to see your posts (if anyone is likely to see them).

#4 MikeBanawa

MikeBanawa

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

Thanks man! I really appreciate that awesome lengthy comment. Yes I do get hundreds of inbound traffic from these forums because I have a very specific niche that they need. I was just hoping to get a bit of link juice from my Ads but I guess it did not have any benefits at all for Google search results. I guess I need to up my game more with this. I don't think I need any professional assistance though. My niche is too small that I can easily beat my competition I never get out of first page even without too much seo efforts. I think I'll try public blogs next and see if I get any improvements.

Thanks again!

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,869 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

Forum Posting For Back Links - Am I Doing It Wrong?

Guys! Yes you are is the only answer that question needs

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

By "public blog" I did not mean "leave comments on blogs".  That is spam.

A "public blog" is one that YOU write and which is crawled by search engines.  You should only need one, really.

#7 MikeBanawa

MikeBanawa

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

By "public blog" I did not mean "leave comments on blogs".  That is spam.

A "public blog" is one that YOU write and which is crawled by search engines.  You should only need one, really.

I totally understand. What I was thinking was creating a number of blogs (by hiring someone to do it) then point them to my site, and Guest blogging to gain even more attention. But I need to make sure everything has high quality content and done by heart. A bit lengthy though.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

I totally understand. What I was thinking was creating a number of blogs (by hiring someone to do it) then point them to my site, and Guest blogging to gain even more attention. 

That's also web spam. 

#9 MikeBanawa

MikeBanawa

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

That's also web spam. 

Isn't it a gray area? I got the advise from one of Pat Flynn's articles in [Removed]. It works well for him though. Please let me know if I should still pursue with this. :)

Edited by Jill, 25 March 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

Isn't it a gray area?

Gray areas are generally web spam that one hopes doesn't get detected. 

You can pursue whatever methods you want. It all depends on whether you care or not about trying to trick search engines or not.

#11 gymnast46

gymnast46

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Hi folks,

I'm hoping you can clear up something for me.  My shop sells skis online.  On occasion I'll go to a couple of forums devoted to skiing when we have a particularly attractive deal and I'll post a link to the specific model.  I had heard that we're better off from an SEO standpoint of directing potential customers to a less specfic landing page.  For example:  "Race Skis" instead of "Atomic D2 Redster GS Ski".  Obviously I'd like to direct buyers to the specific product but don't want to harm our SEO efforts.  Thanks in advance for your guidance.

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

I had heard that we're better off from an SEO standpoint of directing potential customers to a less specfic landing page

What you heard was incorrect. 

#13 gymnast46

gymnast46

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

Thanks!  I greatly appreciate the guidance. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!