• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

My Index Page In Google Serp Shows Date Before Description

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kslnor

kslnor

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

Let's see if I can explain this :)

Google's serp shows the date of Nov 19, 2012 before the description for my Index.html page...I'm not sure why.  I cannot locate any date tag, "last-modified" date , or other date indicator,  within the source code.  I first noticed this date appearing a day ago.

I switched my static site to a Wordpress blog on Nov 19, 2012. I add a new post to my blog a few times a week.  I know Google crawls my site daily.  The cache date of my Index page is March 12, 2013. 

I'm a bit concerned this may deter visitor interest if Nov 19, 2012 remains  - several months from now (may give the sense the blog is outdated).

I'm curious why this is happening, so if anyone has any clue I would love to hear it.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

If you pm me the URL I'll take a look. 

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

It's because the dates of the articles are showing on  your home page, with that november 2012 one at the top.

date-showing.png

#4 kslnor

kslnor

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

Ahhhhaaa !  Makes perfect sense.  Easy fix.  Thanks Jill, you're the best.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Dates do NOT deter visitor interest.  If anything, they HELP searchers find information better.

Just because an article has an old date doesn't mean it's not useful or current.  Nor does that mean it won't do as well in the SERPs.

I have never found a case where a blogger had a good reason to hide dates from users in the SERPs.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Michael, the problem with this particular site was that for some reason of all the articles, the old ones were at the top (of the home page). So Google chose the old date for the home page. That's different than just having an old article, showing an old date. (Which I agree is fine.)

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Michael, the problem with this particular site was that for some reason of all the articles, the old ones were at the top (of the home page). So Google chose the old date for the home page. That's different than just having an old article, showing an old date. (Which I agree is fine.)

Ah.  My mistake.  I guess that's what I get for just quickly scanning the discussion.  :)

Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!