• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Anyone Any Good With Ga Goals? Driving Me Nuts....

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

No matter what I do setting the goals I keep getting this error:

"You may have applied a condition such as a date range, an advanced segment or a goal for which there is no data; or there may not be enough data to show results when sampling is in effect."

Has anyone else seen this and how did you fix it?

There is data for the goal - maybe not many but certainly within 15-30 goals having been reached over the last 8 days...

I've tried everything but I keep getting this error - I'd be keen to see if anyone had this error and how they fixed it.

Thanks.

#2 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

What date range and segment are you looking at?

#3 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Thanks - I still havent solved this - I really have no idea how to fix this - I have tried a million different settings and I still get this error...

I am trying to measure goals by simply analyzing the traffic flow from 2 pages to a thank-you page - but I get the below error...

(Worth mentioning that it works for other pages which is very odd but for one group I get the below message)

I thought to post here in case it jolts someones memory to having had this issue - thanks

PS I should add that I definitely have enough data - ive had about 100 completed goals and that amount is enough so that rules out that error....screenshot-analytics.PNG

Edited by lister, 19 March 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

Does the "Thank you" page have Google Analytics code embedded in it?  If not, there is no way for Google to collect the data it needs to monitor the goals.

#5 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Does the "Thank you" page have Google Analytics code embedded in it?  If not, there is no way for Google to collect the data it needs to monitor the goals.

Yes it is 100% there...

Thanks all the same - anyone else have any pointers?

#6 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

I'll try again - what date range and segment are you looking at?

#7 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

I'll try again - what date range and segment are you looking at?

Thanks - Im looking and changing the date range top right of the screen with the error - i.e. the specific goals dashboard

This is a screenshot (see top right of the image) - thanks for your help with this...

screenshot-analytics-2.PNG

#8 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

Oh - you are looking at the Goal Flow report.  In that case, you probably genuinely don't have enough data.  You said

There is data for the goal - maybe not many but certainly within 15-30 goals having been reached over the last 8 days...

When you consider the number of different flows (especially if your site uses dynamic URLs, so no two flows are the same), and the fact that only a sample of data is used to calculate Goal Flow reports, then there's a good chance you simply don't have enough data to work with.

Instead of looking at Conversions->Goals->Goal Flow, try looking at the Content->Site Content->All Pages->Goal URL Page->Navigation Summary.  This will show you the pages visited immediately before your Goal URL page.

• Jill and lister like this

#9 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for your time - very good of you.

Ill take a look based on your recommendations.

Thanks again and have a great day/ evening

• Alan Perkins likes this

#10 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Wow..Thanks for this.  I was struggling with the same thing when I tried to put in a reg ex expression that I had tested and knew worked in the all pages report but did not work in the goal flow report. 

I was wondering where this went in the new analytics, now I know.  Thanks, DJKay.

#11 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Some of my source categories just list "(direct)" - what is 'direct' - is it type-in traffic? i have filters in place so that should rule that out....

So for example:

Traffic sources

1. (Direct)

2. t.co  - > that is twitter
3. google

etc

thanks

here are some answers as to what 'direct' means:

direct traffic can mean

Accessing from links in email footers or newsletters without campaign identifications
   Accessing from links in office documents like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, or PDF documents
   Accessing via server or client redirects (301, meta refresh tags etc.) depending on server or browser settings
   Accessing from users in very security-restricted environments (no referers passed)

#12 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

"(direct)" is the catchall category for traffic that cannot be attributed to any specific source.

It usually includes people who just type in URLs, click on bookmarks they have saved in their browsers, copied URLs into their browsers, and whose browsers strip referral data.  It could also include visitors whose connections were poor and did not fully transmit all their browser info to your server.

And it also includes all the people coming to your non-secure HTTP site from secure HTTPS sites, such as people who are logged in to Google.

Some rogue crawlers may also be appearing in your analytics as "(Direct)" traffic (if they execute the Javascript -- most don't, in my experience).

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Also a lot of traffic now coming from Apple iOS 6 products are being counted as direct :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!