• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Content Experiments With Rewritten Urls

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chilluk

chilluk

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

We have run a number of Google Content Experiments for pages that do not have a rewritten URL on our site (search page mostly) and so we just created a PageName2.aspx version of PageName.aspx - it seems to work fine with all dynamic querystring parameters etc.

Now we want to do similar with rewritten urls. So on our site we have say /category/blue-widgets/999 where 999 is a specifc ID and this rewrite rule (IIS7) is pointed at Category.aspx?ID=999

So I am wondering how I create alternative versions of the page to run the experiments - do I need to have /category2/blue-widgets/999 pointing to Category2.aspx?ID=999 or is there a better way?

Thanks

Chris

#2 chilluk

chilluk

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:36 AM

Hmm I have created the rewrite rules and pages so that I can have the following URLs

/category/blue-widgets/999

/category2/blue-widgets/999

with each url showing the different variation. However I can't work out how to create the experiment to redirect with the variables intact?!

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

So, do I understand correctly that you want to trick Google into indexing search results pages that they have clearly -- time and again -- said they do not want to index?

#4 chilluk

chilluk

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:47 AM

Err no - this is for an experiment hence the thread title - we are currently experimenting with category page layouts.

It's sorted now anyway - I used a relative URL for the variation page and then added a quesrystring parameter. Then in my rewriting rules in IIS7 I directed off to the actual physical page using the querystring param as a condition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!