• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo For Images

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mongpv1

mongpv1

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:14 AM

Hello everyone. My name's Su. I'm a newbie. I have some questions about SEO for images. Who can help me answer these questions?

1) What affects an Images Ranking in the Search Engines?

2) How to use tags in SEO for Images?

Thanks !

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,620 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

The file name and alt attribute of the image seem to help, but I've found that it's still true that it's more about the page the image is on than the image itself. If the page is well-optimized for the keyword phrase, especially if the keyword phrase appears near the image on the page (think captions), that's likely to help a lot.

But all of that raises a question: what do you hope to gain from ranking well for image searches? Unless images are the business you're promoting, you're probably going to find that traffic that comes from image search (and traffic to images that show up in universal search) is not likely to convert. I had a client that was in the business of humanely removing animals from homes, and I noticed one day that they were getting a ton of traffic for searches on [mouse]. It turned out their picture of a mouse, on their page about mice, was #2 in Google image search. I doubt they got a single customer out of that result.

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

I've long suspected that many people who search for images do so in order to "borrow" the image for use on their own sites. If that's right, it's probably not the sort of traffic you want.

Mike

• Jill likes this

#4 mongpv1

mongpv1

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

ok, thanks Moderator and Mikl. I think I need more attention to the content and a description of the image. 

I have a question about keywords in the file name, for example:  a_b_c.jpg, a-b-c.jpg, or abc.jpg .  So what kind of names should I use? Thanks !

#5 DiviFernando

DiviFernando

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

The image alt tags and the image file name play an important role. Make sure the keyword is placed at the start of the alt tag description. Also, you must have an image sitemap in place. Sitemaps help search engine bots a great deal in finding and indexing your image files.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,949 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

alt 'tags' do NOT EXIST.

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,622 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Sorry, DiviFernando, just so you understand the context -- you've managed to stumble over one of moderator Chris's pet peeves. :) The correct term is "alt attribute" and it just drives Chris up the wall when people refer to those attributes as "tags." :whip:

Cheers,

--Torka :propeller:

#8 DiviFernando

DiviFernando

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:29 AM

Sorry, DiviFernando, just so you understand the context -- you've managed to stumble over one of moderator Chris's pet peeves. :) The correct term is "alt attribute" and it just drives Chris up the wall when people refer to those attributes as "tags." :whip:

Haha alright, I shall remember that Torka thanks.. I tend to get too excited and not proof read sometimes while answering something I (seemingly) know ;)

alt 'tags' do NOT EXIST.

YES!! Alt attribute... my mistake :)

Edited by DiviFernando, 12 April 2013 - 03:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!