• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Stuff / Duplicate Content / Spamming Techniques?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

The business owner for one of my projects has asked me talk with, possibly enlist the services of, a contractor who does SEO for a manufacturer whose website has been around for at least 10 years. He has gotten their key phrase to the first page and sometimes top result of google for a batch of local areas, some large metros:

• keyword phrase baltimore
  • keyword phrase washington dc
  • keyword phrase annapolis
  • keyword phrase ...

The results I see are organic, not local.

The claim seems to be fairly well substantiated, however ... I did a quick look-through of the website and see major infestations of Penguin.  It has a box above the footer which lists:

• keyword phrase baltimore
  • keyword phrase washington dc
  • some client keyword phrase
  • etc.

These are links that take you to many almost identical pages.  They seem to be doing well, however what I am seeing seems to be a lot of keyword stuff (links) and a ton of duplicate content pages, spamming techniques.

Is this eventually going to catch up with them, or because they are a major manufacturer, can they get away with this?  I'm somewhat apprehensive about taking their advice or methods verbatim. Other feedback?

• manhpv12 likes this

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,615 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

I'd like to be able to say that the day will come (and come soon) when they'll regret this, but it does seem to me that the bigger they are, the more they can get away with.

And I don't want them to get hit because they're evil and deserve to be punished. I just don't want people seeing this sort of thing and concluding it's safe for them to do it too.

• MikeBanawa likes this

#3 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

Ditto ditto.

No they are not evil and the manufacturer provides a worthwhile service, but this certainly has Penguin written all over it. 

Business owners such as the one in question, unfortunately, they only see the output and want to know if you can take the advice with results that follow suit.  It is working for them ........ I'm anticipating a "just do it" as opposed to a safe route. Perhaps over-anticipating.

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

I'm seeing more of this as I research competition my eCommerce, local services project.

Business A has created 30+ pages by city names and replicated the content perhaps 90% from one page to the next.

Business B is using a feedback page per city.  They display testimonials for each city and in the testimonial name the service category and service type with each testimonial.  This version seems to be marginally more relevant even though replicating the category and service is marginally spammy. But it seems to be working.

How does google know where to draw the line, relevant content vs spam?

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Their algorithms are not perfect but I think people forget they are not just trying to measure what is WRONG; they are also trying to measure what is RIGHT.

Would a typical consumer, landing on that Website, be able to take care of their needs relatively quickly and easily?  If so, that might be enough to justify ranking the site above others while ignoring the bad stuff.

Just because a Website uses keyword stuffing or manipulative links doesn't mean that the search engine will automatically penalize it. They may just ignore the bad behavior and judge the site on everything else.

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,597 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

That's something I often have to caution people around here about -- when you look at another site that seems to have good rankings for one of our desirable keywords, understand they may be ranking well in spite of some of the "techniques" you see on their site, not because of them. That's one of the dangers of blindly copying elements you find on other sites without understanding both what they are trying to accomplish and the risks they carry.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

#7 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Yes, I hear what you and Mike are saying.  As I alluded to, the testimonial method feels more legit than duplicating pages and swapping a couple city names.

Slightly off-topic --> With regard to Penguin penalties, if they do come into play (why didn't G call it Albatros) if a penalty were enforced would it be for a specific page or key phrase mixture or would G apply it to an entire site.

Edited by bobmeetin, 05 April 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,929 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

With regard to Penguin penalties, if they do come into play (why didn't G call it Albatros) if a penalty were enforced would it be for a specific page or key phrase mixture or would G apply it to an entire site.

When it comes to duplicate content, Google has stated (somewhere) that now it can in fact affect an entire site, rather than just the particular pages it's on. I've seen lots of evidence that this is true. (Although, if anyone likes to make distinctions, I believe that's Panda, not Penguin.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!