• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Ga: Creating/combining Advanced Segments

Best Answer Jill , 06 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Okay that one wasn't right. Try this one. This just shows a number. It's organic searches with new visits filtered to be the only ones included.

You can use it and add a secondary dimension of keywords if that's what you're interested in as well.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

I'm pretty new to using Google Analytics for anything beyond the most basic reporting, and I need to find a way to deal with advanced segments.

I know I can pick multiple segments and compare their data side by side, but is there a way to create a new segment by combining two or more that already exist? I'm specifically in need of a segment that will show me new visitors who reached the site via organic search, so I want to combine the default segments "New Visitors" and "Non-paid Search Traffic" into one new segment.

If I knew the criteria GA uses in those default segments, I could just stick them into a new custom segment, but I don't see a way to open up the default segments to see how they're created.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

OK, here's what I've created. Someone please let me know if I'm misunderstanding how this works.

I'm including visits for which Source includes google OR search.yahoo OR bing OR duckduckgo OR blekko.com AND New Visits is greater than 0 (I'm not really sure about that, but there doesn't seem to be a way to tell it to look for visits where New Visits is True).

This may not be working. I'm looking at UVs for a one-month period, using both the Non-paid Search Traffic default segment and my new "New Organic Visits" segment, and the new organic visit count is slightly higher than the non-paid search traffic. That doesn't make sense to me. I would think that if I did this correctly, new organic visits would be a subset of unique non-paid search traffic.

That's the case when I look at total visits in the two segments: new organic visits is about a third of the non-paid search traffic. And for what it's worth, the numbers for the new segment are almost identical for both visits and unique visitors. They're off by only .4%, and that does make sense to me.

Edited by qwerty, 06 March 2013 - 12:15 PM.
Added results

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Bob does this custom new organic visitors report do what you want?

Edited by Jill, 06 March 2013 - 04:03 PM.
Link removed as it didn't actually do what I thought it did. (See later post)

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Wow, thanks. Yes, it might be what I'm looking for, but somehow the count of visits in this report is just under 10 times as many as the segment I created reports for the same period, so if this is correct, I was way off.

it looks like this report is giving me close to the same number as total new visitors for the same period, and I know organic traffic is a very small percentage of our total traffic (which is why they hired me), so that doesn't seem right. The issue might be that the report is including direct traffic, and sources like email, Yahoo Games (one of our partners), Facebook, etc. What I need is traffic exclusively from organic searches.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

It was supposed to be organic only. Let me look again and see if it needs tweaking. Looked like organic in mine, however at first glance.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:28 PM   Best Answer

Okay that one wasn't right. Try this one. This just shows a number. It's organic searches with new visits filtered to be the only ones included.

You can use it and add a secondary dimension of keywords if that's what you're interested in as well.

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

Yes, I think you've got it. Thanks a lot.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

No problem. Only took a few minutes. There's actually lots of ways you can get that same info I believe. You could just use an Advanced Segment of new users, and then just go directly to all organic traffic, for instance.

Be sure to check out www.CustomReportSharing.com for lots of even cooler reports than that one!

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,635 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Love that site. :wub:  I've downloaded all sorts of reports and dashboards from there.

--Torka :propeller:

• Jill likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!