• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is This A H1 Style No-No?

Best Answer qwerty , 05 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Yeah, bad. Any text that's hidden and can't be made visible by some user action is pure spam. Sticking it in a heading tag probably just means that they're a little more confused.

I recently came across some pages where paragraphs are nested in <h1> tags that are given a special class name that the CSS formats to look like normal text. Bad idea, right? These people actually thought that putting pretty much the whole page in headings would make it rank better. And what's the name of that CSS class that reformats the text? "SEO" :)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

This is a first for me...I'm auditing a site that has keywords hidden in an H1 tag so they don't appear on the page.

<h1 style="display:none;">huge bunch of keywords listed here</h1>

Bad right?

Thanks,

Caro

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,607 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:39 PM   Best Answer

Yeah, bad. Any text that's hidden and can't be made visible by some user action is pure spam. Sticking it in a heading tag probably just means that they're a little more confused.

I recently came across some pages where paragraphs are nested in <h1> tags that are given a special class name that the CSS formats to look like normal text. Bad idea, right? These people actually thought that putting pretty much the whole page in headings would make it rank better. And what's the name of that CSS class that reformats the text? "SEO" :)

#3 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

Thanks qwerty, I figured as much. I had never encountered this particular trick before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!