• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is This Logo Background Image Link Seo Friendly?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SERPico

SERPico

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

Here is a code set up I have set up to link up the logo, to help page rendering performance I have used a sprite image and thus CSS to display the logo as a background image.

Nowadays you can't be too careful with Google, so I would really appreciate some input on this:

Example code: codepen.io/anon/pen/dqlva

There is no attempt to manipulate anything, I just chose for this route so I can optimize the site's front end loading performance.  I didn't even include an anchor text.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

It's not going to get you into trouble, but it's also not going to send any signal about what the page you're linking to is about. As you pointed out, there's no anchor text, and since the image is a background, there's also no alt attribute.

One thing I've seen on a number of sites (and I don't know whether or not this is OK) is to do some of what you're doing, and also include a transparent image with an alt attribute as the anchor of the link.

#3 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:37 AM

I wouldn't go the transparent pixel route.  It could be perceived as spam, and it would kill the reason for using a sprite in the first place.

The first stop would be to consider accessibility, i.e. how the the page renders in screen readers and other browsers that don't support images.  The answer is "poorly".  You need to fix this.  One approach would be to use a title attribute on your anchor tag, but this probably won't help your SEO.  Another approach would be to use anchor text after all.

For such an important image and link, though, I probably would not resort to sprites.  They're better for small buttons, highlight states, stuff like that ... not logos.

#4 SERPico

SERPico

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

For such an important image and link, though, I probably would not resort to sprites.  They're better for small buttons, highlight states, stuff like that ... not logos.

Yes, that does makes sense.

I guess I'm trying to take it a bit too far.

Thank guys for your input.

#5 SERPico

SERPico

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

I just remember, I had created some sites in the past with a different but similar technique and those sites never had any issues with rankings.

If I would use keyworddomain.com as the ancher text that wouldn't be much of a problem as well when seeing Matt Cutts comment here:

http://www.threadwat...3#comment-26923

We can flag text that appears to be hidden using CSS at Google. To date we have not algorithmically removed sites for doing that. We try hard to avoid throwing babies out with bathwater.

If someone uses an outdated browser or just text browser they can still then see the domain name as the link.

You have the page title of the home page already providing more then enough information what the site is about.

I don't see a major disadvantage as of now, so I'll probably go with the sprite technique.

Unless I'm missing something else? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!