• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Move Website Or Keep Everything As It Is?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 T.N

T.N

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

dears,

my client has 2 domains, for example "A" & "B". Both has the same age. But "A" with live content, whild "B" is still under construction.

Domain "A" is on top 10 SERPs for a spesific keywor.

Domian "B" is under construction.

The client wants to switch the "A" website's content to domain "B" and do 301 redirect from "A" to "B" . Then leave web site "A" for a while with under maintenance.

He believes that the old content is more suitable for the new website "B".

So, from SEO prespective, is that a dangerous process and leads to not getting a good rank in website "B" with the old content? or the redirect will help and overcome this situation?

and when rebuilding website "A" with the new content, will its good ranking history help it to gain a good rank as it used to have?

Thanks.

Edited by T.N, 02 March 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,106 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

The client wants to switch the "A" website's content to domain "B" and do 301 redirect from "A" to "B" . Then leave web site "A" for a while with under maintenance.

Once the permanent redirect is in place, domain 'A' effectively ceases to exist

and when rebuilding website "A" with the new content, will its good ranking history help it to gain a good rank as it used to have?

No, because it doesn't exist anymore, but the factors that made it "rank" well are now pointing to 'B'

#3 T.N

T.N

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

Thanks Chrishirst,

for the site "A" now,

does that mean it can be used as a brand new domain? or it is useless now?

the niche for 2 websites is somehow different. 'A' is more general, 'B' is more specific. example 'A' is for plants, 'B' for flowers only "but seems to be more competitive", will that affect in ranking?

and does redirect's effect takes time? In other words, domain 'A' is expired has to be renewed within 10 days, otherwise it will go permenantly, so, renewing that domain is good or bad idea now?

thanks.

Edited by T.N, 02 March 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Whatever benefit A was sending to B via the redirect will go away when you drop the redirect, and if you publish something on A, you're going to have to drop the redirect (unless you limit the redirect just to certain URLs).

But I'm curious about why you think B is better than A. You mentioned that it's more specific... I guess you're just referring to the domain name. Domain names are not equivalent to keywords. Having "flowers" in the domain name rather than "plants" may help a little bit if you're selling flowers, but I'm not convinced that the advantage is worth the effort. The "plants" domain can certainly sell flowers, as could a domain name that's not based on keywords, but is a memorable brand name.

I'm not saying you're definitely making a mistake even thinking about doing this, but I do think you should be realistic and not expect a big boost in rankings or business because of a change to the domain name.

Edited by qwerty, 02 March 2013 - 09:33 AM.

#5 T.N

T.N

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

Thanks qwerty,

the idea behind this is conversions.

the general website doesn't get conversions for selling profitable things. That's why we think to boost conversion by focusing on the specific website.

Thanks..

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

If the content isn't converting when it's on Site A, then how is moving that same content to another domain going to make it convert better? I must be missing something. :hmm:

Are there elements on Site B that would make the content from Site A more effective? Then why not simply incorporate those elements that you think would be helpful into Site A to start with? Conversion optimization has nothing to do with which domain the product is on.

In fact, it's possible moving the content could make it convert even worse. If you're trying to get in to conversion optimization, you're going to need to get familiar with testing, because there are many, many times when the thing you were just sure was going to work, doesn't... and when the thing you thought was just too crazy to work at all turns out to be the best thing you ever did for the site.

But in this case, I'm really not understanding how moving the content to a different domain is going to make it convert better. :dntknw: If it isn't compelling in its current location, putting it on a different URL isn't going to suddenly make it so.

--Torka :propeller:

• Jill likes this

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,106 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

This conversation is redolent of the script for Stargate SG-1 'Tin Man' episode.

HARLEN: See, everything is better, even your minds. You are all much, much better.

O'NEILL: Better then what?

HARLEN: Do you not feel it? Are you not stronger? Smarter?

JACKSON: I think he's right, I feel great!

HARLEN: Of course you do, because I have given you a great gift. I have made you all...better!

O'NEILL: Better how?

HARLEN: Oh I have not hurt you, I have only made you...better!

'Different' and 'better' do not go hand in hand.

• Jill and Lorelle like this

#8 T.N

T.N

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:54 AM

thank you all for replying,

switching to the other domain due to being a keyword rich domain

really still confused!

#9 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

I'm really not convinced that keyword-rich domains are actually better. Last year, Google made changes that keep exact-match domains from ranking better if the domain name is all they've got going for themselves. There's probably still some boost for a decent site with a keyword-rich domain name, but I think you're giving up the advantage you get from having a memorable, brandable name.

That's more a matter of potential customers trusting you than anything algorithmic, but I'd rather buy accessories for my smart phone from newegg than some site called buy-smart-phone-accessories.

• T.N likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!