• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Multiple Geographic Targets

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KarenC

KarenC

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Looking to optimize a site that has multiple geographic targets, most of the states (and some cities within the states) in the southeastern US. The client has one location and provides services within the multiple states. Their web developer setup multiple subdomains, i.e. state.domain.com, city.domain.com, etc. All subdomains pull the information from the main site. Thru programming all subdomains changes one word (the location) based on the location listed in the subdomain. Otherwise all the content is duplicated across main and subdomains. We are looking to eliminate these subdomains or get unqiue content for each sub domain.

Once upon a time it was advisable to setup mutliple directories/pages for each geographic area. It is my understanding (with the changes in Google) that is no longer advisable. I've read the advisable thing to do is to setup a page within the site listing the client's service area.

Would appreciate input on recommendations for setting up a service area page that includes the targeted states and cities.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,674 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

You're most likely better off ditching the subdomains, unless there's actually something unique to say on each one, and if that's the case, it's going to be a ton of work. Obviously, if one subdomain only has a one-word difference with another, that's just pure spam.

I had a client years ago with something like 100 different geo-targeted domains, all of which were just mirrors of their main site -- not even a word-one difference, except in the domain names. They'd been in place for a long time, and they occasionally added new ones when they thought up a new domain name they wanted. I managed to convince them to stop linking out to the different sites from their page that listed the cities they covered, but they refused to take down the sites, insisting they got some search traffic. I don't work with them anymore :)

I've read the advisable thing to do is to setup a page within the site listing the client's service area.

Yeah, that's what I'd advise, unless there's something unique to say about certain locations. If they have more than one brick and mortar location, it might be beneficial to do a page (but not a subdomain) about each one, with directions on how to get there, staff bios, etc. (if staff bios are at all relevant to the business -- if you own two Wendy's franchises, I don't think I'm going to find the biographical information for the various assistant managers to be of much use in my quest for a chicken sandwich).

#3 KarenC

KarenC

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

With local search so relevant nowadays is it realisticly possbile for a business to get ranked in areas outside of their physical area? For example can a building contracting business here in Lafayette, LA who lists Nashville, TN as a service area get ranked when someone there in Nashville searches for "building contractors" (without querying "Lafayette LA Building Contractors")?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,210 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Not very easily. Probably safest to do it via Adwords and geotargeting.

#5 KarenC

KarenC

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

Can it be effective to utilitize directory listings?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,210 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Don't really know, IMO, if the directory page where you'll be listed shows up in the search results for your search phrase, then yeah. Otherwise, it's probably not all that helpful. (Just my opinion.)

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,674 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

And general directories (especially the "SEO friendly" ones) don't seem to count for much anymore. Look for niche and local directories.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!