• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Is Affiliate Marketing Just A Big Scam?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#16 Ayoungthing

Ayoungthing

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

For the OP, some of the internet marketer nowadays are also feels like you. They are scammed by gurus when they are still a newbie, but gurus is just teaching a very basic of Internet Marketing. I see that this guru is using SEO method, creating backlink on blogs and websites, making mini web review, and then article submission. Lets see ...

1. Creating back link in this way is too old school, nowadays, people are using back link with interesing and informative comment, and then use do-follow URL link in the end of the comment.

2. mini web review, with only a few back link to support it, weill definitely lose to the older competitor. that is why your affiliate product will never sell, no one visit your site.

3. Article submission DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE, seriusly, I can't stress this point hard enough. Google think ezines is full of scam article, they won't rank it in their page rank anymore.

4. You do not use sales funnel at all : traffic > lead > product. You do not build a list, you never promote a site using paid traffic, or any other working method.

I think you are not a victim, you just too rely on gurus. They are not perfect. CHEERS!

#17 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

I know several people earning hundreds of thousands to over a million dollars a year in affiliate marketing.  None of them are offering any programs to share the secrets of their success.  Some of them learned their trade from old-time gurus who did, actually, teach successful techniques.  But all those old techniques have long since been put down by search algorithm changes.

There is no way to determine which of today's affiliate education programs are any good without the kind of third-party feedback you see in forums like this one, where people are willing to say something based on their experience rather than how much commission they will make.

One of the secrets of affiliate marketing that I never see anyone talk about publicly is that you need to create a strong relationship with your affiliate program manager.  They can make or break you in so many ways.

#18 squidjam

squidjam

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

I know several people earning hundreds of thousands to over a million dollars a year in affiliate marketing.  None of them are offering any programs to share the secrets of their success.  Some of them learned their trade from old-time gurus who did, actually, teach successful techniques.  But all those old techniques have long since been put down by search algorithm changes.

There is no way to determine which of today's affiliate education programs are any good without the kind of third-party feedback you see in forums like this one, where people are willing to say something based on their experience rather than how much commission they will make.

One of the secrets of affiliate marketing that I never see anyone talk about publicly is that you need to create a strong relationship with your affiliate program manager.  They can make or break you in so many ways.

None of the "several people" you know making "hundreds of thousands to over a million dollars a year" are offering ANY programs to share their secrets? I really do find this extremely hard to believe, as from what I've seen, most people making any significant money in affiliate marketing are teaching how to make money in affiliate marketing. Either they are currently doing it AND teaching or they have done it and are now teaching it.

The teaching of techniques itself is a major money maker, from my perspective as an observer over 16+ years online.

You say there is NO way to determine which affiliate education programs are any good without reading the third-party forums. I would say that third-party forums aren't a very good source either. Most of the people who buy such programs never put the info to work. Lots of people want to make money, but they don't want to put much effort into it or they think reading a program rather than doing witll make it happen. Also, I've seen plenty of garbage on forums like the Warrior Forum where people tout things as great, but they're doing it because they want to make money themselves from the affiliate program for the "education program." Hardly reliable feedback.

Quite frankly, I don't even know what your comment about having a strong relationship with your affiliate program manager means really. Most affiliate marketing I've seen is done by signing up to be an affiliate for a company or product. Very few of these companies or organizations have people you can personally connect with. Maybe I'm missing something. 

I think just the fact that you say you know several people who are making all this money in affiliate marketing, yet can't or don't name one, is weird. I have heard this from many people. If they're really making money, why can't someone name them, and if they do name them, then can't that person provide some credible evidence that they are making money online? Would seem it would be possible.

#19 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

I think what Michael is talking about are the very many people who create websites and sell products/services as affiliates. They understand website marketing and they get eyeballs to their site which convert.

They are affiliate marketers who have no intention of selling their secrets as they don't want others to steal what they do.

#20 squidjam

squidjam

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

I understand what you're saying Jill.

And I just wanted to come back here and add that I didn't want my last post to sound negative or mean. That wasn't my intent at all! I was mostly just playing Devil's advocate and asking skeptical questions to make a point  :)

#21 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

I think there are two kinds of affiliate marketers. Those that do like pyramid schemes just selling the dream. And the real ones who just about their business and make money. I'm sure there are many in the latter category who aren't very good either and don't make much money. They are probably the ones who get sucked into the first category's schemers.

#22 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

It's hard to improve on what Jill said so I won't try.  But I'll address a couple of other points you raised.

Quite frankly, I don't even know what your comment about having a strong relationship with your affiliate program manager means really. Most affiliate marketing I've seen is done by signing up to be an affiliate for a company or product. Very few of these companies or organizations have people you can personally connect with. Maybe I'm missing something.

Every affiliate program I ever signed up for had a manager who answered questions, helped resolve technical issues, and made sure affiliates were being paid.  The big guns I know tell me that they have very close relationships with their managers.  That is how they get better contracts than what you see on the typical affiliate registration page.

You have to understand that companies which are selling real products and services through affiliate channels are going to favor big traffic movers who can bring in a lot of conversions.  Anyone who wants to play in the highly competitive affiliate verticals needs to have a real plan for creating high-value traffic in sufficient volumes to show up on a decision-maker's radar.

I think just the fact that you say you know several people who are making all this money in affiliate marketing, yet can't or don't name one, is weird. ...

I didn't say I couldn't name them.  But what would the names mean to you?  There are tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people who have signed up with affiliate programs.  As far back as 1998 or so Amazon was claiming to have 250,000 "associates" (affiliates).

On the other hand, when someone opens up to you in a private conversation and says, "I made $50,000 last month," the last thing you want to do is violate their confidence.  Some of these people are or have been my clients.  I'm not going to put those business relationships at risk just so I can claim bragging rights in a forum discussion.

There ARE real people who make a lot of money as affiliates.  They probably amount to a fraction of 1% of the people who are trying to make money as affiliates.

ON EDIT: And these folks apparently do not feel compelled to share their success in the open on their personal Websites.  That being the case, I will respect their privacy.

Edited by Michael Martinez, 02 April 2013 - 12:45 AM.

#23 MackinUSA

MackinUSA

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

I'm new here.

"Rae Hoffmann (Sugarrae) was another."

She gets my Vote

Edited by MackinUSA, 09 April 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#24 squidjam

squidjam

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Michael, I just wanted to post to let you know that I understand what you're saying and I hope you understand where I was coming from. I just think the whole affiliate marketing arena is so full of people claiming they're making money or promoting some product that it's hard to know what to believe. And yet...it's not. It's marketing.  lol

I meant nothing negative in my questions or comments. I'm just being skeptical and playing devil's advocate. Being skeptical these days is even more important than ever I think.

Onward!  :)

• Jill likes this

#25 THMG

THMG

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

Well...I'm going to answer the original question of this post.  First off, I think any program or person that comes across as a used car sales man needs to be avoided at all costs.  Unfortunately most GURUS and overly hyped programs are just that...hype and B.S.

Business transparency is something you never see in this industry.  affiliate marketing has worked for me but I have good training.  

Also, something to consider...if you are doing this as a "hobby" then it will always be a hobby.  

However if you approach affiliate marketing as a business and treat it as such then you will be successful, but it takes hard work.  

So no affiliate marketing is not a big scam...it just takes patient and calculated hard work. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!