• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Domain Age - Fact Or Myth?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nkzbusiness

nkzbusiness

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Hi everyone.  I was wondering if the age of a domain really matters for SEO.  Is that true or just a myth?  

If in fact newer domains get penalized, how long does that last for and is there anything I can do in the meantime to counteract it?

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,715 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

I've seen no evidence that newer domains get penalized. In fact, if anything, they sometimes get a bit of a "free ride" in the SERPs when they're first launched, before they finally settle back to where they should naturally rank.

I don't know how to go about proving this, but my feeling is that most of the "advantage" of older sites is simply that they've been around long enough to build up content and links. It's possible there's some small advantage to simple longevity, that perhaps the SEs would give a website a bit more deference because it's been around for a long, long time. But I believe that would be far outweighed by actual optimization factors such as content quality, site architecture and inbound links.

And keep in mind, I'm talking about an older website, not an older domain name. I don't think there's any great utility in just registering a bunch of domain names but doing nothing with them. When a site is first launched on any of these "old" domains, it will still be a brand-new site. If there's any benefit to age, I believe it would accrue to the site, not to the domain name.

--Torka :propeller:

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,125 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

There used to be an aging delay for new sites that lasted about 9 months, but that has been gone for many years now.

Still, it's not easy for a new site to rank well right from the start as it takes time to build up a good following (and all that a following brings).

#4 seomaster28

seomaster28

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

How long do you guys think the new aging delay is for new sites?

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,125 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

There is no aging delay.

#6 imexperttools

imexperttools

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

A new domain is penalized only if it instantly engage in large scale link building right away when it is still young. It would be unnatural for a domain which has just been created 1 week before would receive thousands of backlinks from totally unrelated sites without any viral marketing on-going.

Edited by imexperttools, 28 February 2013 - 02:56 AM.

#7 DiviFernando

DiviFernando

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:02 AM

I think domain age matters to some extent even now. But we have more important ranking signals in picture now so it is not seen as important as it used to be seen previously. Nevertheless, if you had a 10 year old site using identical SEO and SMO strategies as that of your competitor site that is just a month old, your domain age and authority may be your saving grace to rank higher than the competitor (from a long term perspective). 

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,417 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Nope!

I have a domain name that I have "owned" since ~1995 that has NEVER been online, Should that be given more "authority" than a domain that has been live with good conent and promoted for twelve months?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!