• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Local Domain Hypen Vs .net

Best Answer torka , 25 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Honestly, the operative part here is "with some work."

The domain name is largely irrelevant. In fact, in the wake of Google's Exact Match Domain update, it's potentially possible that the exact match domain might even take more work to rank for that specific keyword than if it weren't an exact match.

That said, in this case, I think the matching domain makes sense, since the site is about that attraction and only about that attraction. So if it were me I'd go with the .net, as it doesn't have a hyphen and it's fewer keystrokes. YMMV.

As to optimizing the site once you have a domain... when the people at my office ask me if some online result or another is possible, my answer is always the same: "Anything is possible if you have enough money and enough time." The question is whether one will have enough of either for the effort to pay off.

When making your plans, keep in mind that an exact match domain is not going to give you any significant advantage, and may actually make an optimization job slightly harder.

If those "old websites" have used their long tenure to accumulate a lot of strong links and build a lot of good relevant content, you've got a real tough row to hoe ahead of yourself.  You'll have to do better than they're doing in terms of creating content, and you'll be working with a newer website that (at least to start with) won't have the strong links they've got. If that's the case, you shouldn't plan on any sort of quick/easy win.

If on the other hand, when you say they're "old sites" you mean they're stocked with outdated information and are seldom updated, you may have a somewhat easier time of it. Populate your site with more timely, relevant, high-quality content. Then find out who's linking to them and contact all those webmasters to let them know there's a newer, more frequently updated, kid in town. See if you can get at least some of them to move their links to point to your site, or at least give you links alongside those older sites. It still won't be quick or easy, but it at least has the possibility of being somewhat quicker than if those older sites are active and strong.

As to the article rewriter: Don't. Just don't. Write original high-quality content. Google's Penguin update is about two years old now and they're refining it all the time. You are not going to gain good rankings for the long run with copy that doesn't make sense. (Not to mention I'm not sure how you're going to make any money on a website that's full of nonsensical content. Do you really think you're going to be able to position yourself as an authority on this topic that way?) Seriously. Please don't even consider this.

If you want the results, you've got to do the work.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 virtualk

virtualk

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

I want to register a domain targeted at a specific tourist attraction in my country,

There is no dedicated website however there are other websites which have information about the place, these now come up first when searching the name of place. (these are quite old sites)

I am hoping an exact match domain will rank above these with some work?

theplace.co.za (theplace being the name of the place and co.za being my country domain extention , South Africa)

Is taken and not being used. I contacted the owner and he refuses to sell

theplace.com / org - same story - same owner!! They all dead and not even on google.

I figure my only option is : the-place.co.za or theplace.net

Which would be better?

Also another question. can i use an online article rewiter like : [REMOVED]

To rewrite chuncks of content even if they dont make exact sense, then gain ranking, then alter the content once Im ranked well? Are there cons to this?

Edited by Jill, 24 February 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,618 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:27 AM   Best Answer

Honestly, the operative part here is "with some work."

The domain name is largely irrelevant. In fact, in the wake of Google's Exact Match Domain update, it's potentially possible that the exact match domain might even take more work to rank for that specific keyword than if it weren't an exact match.

That said, in this case, I think the matching domain makes sense, since the site is about that attraction and only about that attraction. So if it were me I'd go with the .net, as it doesn't have a hyphen and it's fewer keystrokes. YMMV.

As to optimizing the site once you have a domain... when the people at my office ask me if some online result or another is possible, my answer is always the same: "Anything is possible if you have enough money and enough time." The question is whether one will have enough of either for the effort to pay off.

When making your plans, keep in mind that an exact match domain is not going to give you any significant advantage, and may actually make an optimization job slightly harder.

If those "old websites" have used their long tenure to accumulate a lot of strong links and build a lot of good relevant content, you've got a real tough row to hoe ahead of yourself.  You'll have to do better than they're doing in terms of creating content, and you'll be working with a newer website that (at least to start with) won't have the strong links they've got. If that's the case, you shouldn't plan on any sort of quick/easy win.

If on the other hand, when you say they're "old sites" you mean they're stocked with outdated information and are seldom updated, you may have a somewhat easier time of it. Populate your site with more timely, relevant, high-quality content. Then find out who's linking to them and contact all those webmasters to let them know there's a newer, more frequently updated, kid in town. See if you can get at least some of them to move their links to point to your site, or at least give you links alongside those older sites. It still won't be quick or easy, but it at least has the possibility of being somewhat quicker than if those older sites are active and strong.

As to the article rewriter: Don't. Just don't. Write original high-quality content. Google's Penguin update is about two years old now and they're refining it all the time. You are not going to gain good rankings for the long run with copy that doesn't make sense. (Not to mention I'm not sure how you're going to make any money on a website that's full of nonsensical content. Do you really think you're going to be able to position yourself as an authority on this topic that way?) Seriously. Please don't even consider this.

If you want the results, you've got to do the work.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

Edited by torka, 25 February 2013 - 11:31 AM.
added info

• Jill likes this

#3 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Sounds like you are going to end up with an oh so similar domain name to the competition.

Just think of the type-ins that you are likely to lose. Probably far more than you will gain. Verbal referrals will be hit and miss.

"Was that one word or two with a hyphen" becomes a common question when in recall mode.

By far the best option (in my opinion) is to have an original and different domain name. Then put in all the hard and lengthy work as suggested by Torka above.

#4 virtualk

virtualk

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

The "old sites" are pretty dead, updated like 3 times a year with 1 small article at a time and have very poor  seo.

The idea behind the article rewriter was just to get good ranking. The basic function of my website is an online application and doesnt really have content at all. It has more dynamic code that process's requests, accepts payments etc.

Sounds like you are going to end up with an oh so similar domain name to the competition.
Just think of the type-ins that you are likely to lose. Probably far more than you will gain. Verbal referrals will be hit and miss.
"Was that one word or two with a hyphen" becomes a common question when in recall mode.

By far the best option (in my opinion) is to have an original and different domain name. Then put in all the hard and lengthy work as suggested by Torka above.

the competition (current sites) dont even make use of the name I want to use. They from the holding company website.
the exact name is just being squatted and not on google at all

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,939 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

the exact name is just being squatted and not on google at all

Nope, if the same registrant has the names, it is protection not cyber-squatting, and not everybody is chasing search traffic.

The basic function of my website is an online application and doesnt really have content at all. I

Okay, so why do you care about "Google results" and 'exact match' domain names, because without any [url=http://searchengineland.com/070531-115312.php]Real[i][/i] Content[/url] "rankings" are unlikely to happen anyway.

Okay then, I think the auto replace function is 'broken' :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!