• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Homepage Indexing Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy

dannyboy

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Hi

I wish to get google to index more often.

Homepage has an introduction text that stays the same.

What I was thinking to do was every time we add a blog post to the site was on the homepage text just add an an extract maybe 2 or 3 lines from the post with a link of course to the post.

My question is if it was the same text(for the 2 or 3 lines) would this be classed as duplicate content or can google see that we are just trying to tell people about the blog?

Many Thanks Dan

btw The homepage has travel offers and banners that get changed on a regular basis but not the text.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,627 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

If it's just a small amount of text, it won't be a problem, and if Googlebot notices that the page has been updated every time it crawls it, it's likely to start doing so more often. I believe the same is true if you just replace an image, assuming the new image has a different file name and alt attribute.

Of course, if you're doing this just to get the page crawled more often, you're not going to gain anything beyond that, but if your intention is to get Google to pick up new content that you'll be linking to from there, I'd say it's a sensible strategy. I've done it on a number of sites.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

I wish to get google to index more often.

To what end?

Google isn't interested in your "offers and banners" so if the text doesn't why do you want "more crawling" it simply wastes server resources for no useful gain.

http://www.highranki...ring-important/

#4 DiviFernando

DiviFernando

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

Dannyboy - I would go by Qwerty's advice for you, but have you thought of losing link juice coming in to your homepage onto a link that is already probably present in the form of a "blog" tab on your homepage. Any extra links on your homepage will dilute the link equity the homepage receives, but if you are not too concerned about leaking little bit of your homepage link juice to your blog page and want to make it more about attracting users, it is perfectly fine to use two to three lines from every updated blog page. Yes you will have the fresh content advantage and constant indexing. Also, if can afford to spend some time on A/B testing or heat mapping, see where your users click to get to the blog. Whether it is on the 'blog' tab on the homepage or fresh blog link that you provide. If its the latter, lets have the blog tab removed, as the link from the fresh blog preview takes your site visitor to your blog page anyway. I am just saying this so that you preserve your link juice. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!