• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo On A Duplicated Content Website

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 malikawan19

malikawan19

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

Hi,

We are working on a website that gets hotels price data from a provider via API. The provider provides all data such as hotel name, images, description, user views etc that you we will show in our own layout. The problem that I see with that is, this data will be a duplicated content as that provider provides the same data to many websites. Even the images of hotel room are linked from the provider's website. We intend to add our own blogs though.

This said, I seek advice on the best way to handle that from SEO perspective. How should we implement the design (including SEO tags) of the website so it gets good ranking? What would be the best strategy to promote such website in the Search Engines.

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,718 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Your best strategy is paid advertising.

Seriously. As long as the bulk of your content is nothing more than a feed that's probably duplicated on many other sites, it's very unlikely you'll get good rankings. We would be doing you a disservice if we said otherwise. It doesn't matter what you do with "SEO tags" (whatever those are) or your design. If all or most of the content can already be found elsewhere, you're facing a very steep uphill battle with little chance of success.

You say you're going to add your own blogs. Whatever unique content you add will help, if it's well written and useful. You might consider allowing your site visitors to enter reviews of the sites as well. The more useful, high-quality unique content you have, the better.

You might also want to take a look at our [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url]. You may find some of the information there helpful in optimizing this unique content.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

Edited by torka, 19 February 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,432 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

(including SEO tags)

And a 'SEO tag' would be?????

You cannot 'optimise' what which you do not control.

What would be the best strategy to promote such website in the Search Engines.

Write the content yourself or buy advertising

<ADDED>

Ok then .. What Torka said! :)

Edited by chrishirst, 19 February 2013 - 10:41 AM.
after thought.

#4 malikawan19

malikawan19

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Thank you folks for taking time and replying back on my query. Unfortunately, the basic content will be duplicated but that is the requirment of the site, however we will be adding a lot of blogs and articles to promote the site.

Another question I have is, should we block search engines from indexing and following these pages using "noindex" "nofollow" tags? And for images, should we download them on our server and link from there vs. showing from the partner's website. Does that make any difference?

#5 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:50 AM

If it were me, I would put all the Feed Pages into a suitable succinctly named (one word ish) directory. Then Build my relevant, content rich static pages on the domain root expanding into further sub directories as future growth demands.

I wouldn't noindex the feed pages as I understand there is no longer a Dupe PENALTY. Just a Dupe filter that discounts the duplicate content. Any SERPs results you get would then just be a bonus, but don't rely on them not even one iota.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!