• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Content Theft And My Top Tip

Best Answer lister , 13 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

So! An Update! I contacted the person that stole my blog posts - his cell was on his blog (oddly) and I rang him - he was completely cool about it and took it down right away.

So...I guess it shows that there are various ways to tackle this but the bigger you get the more insignificant I guess it becomes -

I guess you just have to get up the ladder in terms of authority and then these things become less important.....

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

OK, my content has been blantantly stolen and placed on this persons blog - they are claiming that it is theirs.

I rank very well for that particular post. I knew this day would come so I planted a link in the copy back to me - and this guy is such an idiot that he didnt check so he sends me traffic!

My questions please!

Do you reckon that SE's will see that as weird that he has the duplicate content on his blog - but - that it links back to me? Could that be a good thing for me?

What would you do reference to contacting this guy? My hunch is to ignore him b/c if I "complain" he will check me out further and realize that my content is kick-ass and steal more and more. My hunch is just to NOT contact him.

And now my real basic simple Top Tip!! Do what I did and place a link to your own site (maybe even a deep link) in EVERY blog post so when people like this genius simply copy and paste they do so w/out noticing.

Anyways.....

Fact is that whatever you place online is basically stolen. Period. Everything is a product of everything else.

*** Update.

Here is another thought: write blog posts very much like they are personal - kinda obvious but if your style of writing is so unqiue, i.e. constantly referring to resources on your site and mentioning your site's name can surely deter the thief b/c its makes their blog look ridicolous.

Anyways - id be interested to hear your thoughts.

Edited by lister, 12 February 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Contact his host and tell them that he's refused to take down the stolen content, so you're preparing to file a DMCA complaint. They know that they can be held libel, so they'll threaten to take down his site if he doesn't take down the content.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,958 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Personally I wouldn't really worry about it. You can waste your entire life trying to remove all that stuff. If you look hard enough you'll find a never ending supply.

#4 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Do you think that Google has the brains to realize that it is my conent in the sense that I ranked for it long before this guy came along?

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,958 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Presuming that your site has some authority yes. But if you're not already doing it, you should be in Google's Authorship program. That is part of what it's for. 

#6 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

thats helpful thanks

#7 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:14 PM   Best Answer

So! An Update! I contacted the person that stole my blog posts - his cell was on his blog (oddly) and I rang him - he was completely cool about it and took it down right away.

So...I guess it shows that there are various ways to tackle this but the bigger you get the more insignificant I guess it becomes -

I guess you just have to get up the ladder in terms of authority and then these things become less important.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!