• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Which Keyword Would Produce The Best Results For My Business

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 finalstep

finalstep

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

My company does business development; everything from webdesign and marketing to research and consulting.
For example from the following 2 keywords (assume I can get the same rank on page 1 for either):
Internet marketing for small business - 8,100 global monthly searches
Marketing in new york - 49,500 global monthly searches

What concerns me is that with the higher searched keyword would a lot of the searches be people looking for marketing jobs in new york rather than to purchase marketing services? So essentially those people would leave the site and hurt my score right?

Any thoughts on this?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,583 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

What do you mean by "score"? Are you talking about PPC ads?

In any case, you don't need to worry about global monthly searches unless you're creating a global site. I always look for local (meaning in the US) exact match volume figures, and for those two phrases, I get 1000 and 16 respectively. That may be because "New York" can mean the city or the state, and a lot of people are going to search using "NY" or "NYC".

But anyway, there's nothing stopping you from optimizing for both phrases.

#3 finalstep

finalstep

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

I'm talking SEO, google penalizes you if a lot of people come to your site and leave right away assuming the content isn't relevant which I would have more of if i used the index page.

Well I do offer my services in several countries not just US, so global would apply to me. I'm just wondering how targeted the New York keyword would be for me as i presume many would search it looking for opportunities not services.

and my SEO budget is what's stopping me from optimizing for both posts...

#4 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

google penalizes you if a lot of people come to your site and leave right away assuming the content isn't relevant

Really? How would they know?

Mike

#5 finalstep

finalstep

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Really? How would they know?

Mike

That's just bounce rate, it's extremely easy to track. Heck you can even see it yourself through google analytics. X amount of people reach your index page and x% of those click through to the next page...

#6 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

That's just bounce rate, it's extremely easy to track. Heck you can even see it yourself through google analytics. X amount of people reach your index page and x% of those click through to the next page...

I wasn't asking how you know, but how Google knows.

And what evidence there is that Google penalises you as a result.

Mike

#7 castor

castor

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

A lot of people around the internet talk about that your bounce rate has effect on your rankings on your keyword. This google would like to filter those sites that are not really relevant on that keyword.

#8 finalstep

finalstep

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

I wasn't asking how you know, but how Google knows.

And what evidence there is that Google penalises you as a result.

Mike

I told you how google knows...

There is no evidence to anything SEO really because google doesn't make their algorithms public but this is a pretty accepted thing in the community.

Anyway back on topic.

#9 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

I told you how google knows...

There is no evidence to anything SEO really because google doesn't make their algorithms public but this is a pretty accepted thing in the community.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But I do find it hard to understand.

We all know that Google is supposed to have sinister powers to track your every on-line move. But I don't see how even they can know every time you click a link in one site to go to some other site (unless, of course, one or both sites happen to have Google Analytics installed, or some other Google-aware tracking facility such as AdSense).

Mike

#10 finalstep

finalstep

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Ok you realize google has much more advanced internal tracking than google analytics. Anything you can tell by installing their software they can tell 10x easier without it. No one outside of google programmers can tell you exactly how it's done, so just assume that it is as it's accepted by virtually every SEO agency. 

#11 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,580 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

You assume wrong. There are many high-level professional SEOs here and elsewhere who accept nothing of the kind.

And you're also more than a bit paranoid. Google are good, but they aren't telepathic. What sort of "internal tracking" do you think they have that gives them access to my private server logs without my permission? Frankly, I would love to hear your explanation of how they manage this without violating any number of anti-hacking laws.

Look, If you don't have Google Analytics installed, they do not know things like your bounce rate or visitor's time-on-site. Period. (Nor do they need to know these things to rank your pages effectively.)

Beyond that, why do you assume a high bounce rate means a page is no good? It might mean the page does a very good job of answering visitor's questions or providing the information they're looking for right up front. Penalizing such a page would mean that Google would be making their search results worse.

In addition to being not telepathic, the folks at Google are also not dumb. They're not going to penalize pages using a measurement they only have available for a fraction of the pages, and which provides no clear indication of the quality of the page.

A lot of people around the internet talk about that your bounce rate has effect on your rankings on your keyword

A lot of magpies chattering make a lot of noise, but that doesn't make their squawks worth listening to. People on the Internet tend to mindlessly repeat what they've heard or read, often without testing it, or even stopping to think if it make logical sense. "Bounce rate as a ranking factor" is one of the urban legends of SEO. It gets repeated a lot, but repetition doesn't equal validity.

Getting back to the original question, as qwerty said, there's nothing stopping you from optimizing for both phrases if you think they're both relevant and appropriate for where your visitors find themselves in the conversion funnel at that point. There are many factors that go into choosing a good keyword for any particular page. Search volume is only one of those indicators (and not necessarily even the most important one). You haven't given us nearly enough information to definitively say if either, both or neither of those phrases would be "best" in this context.

--Torka :propeller:

Edited by torka, 04 February 2013 - 11:54 AM.
spelling error

• Mikl likes this

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,714 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

A lot of people around the internet talk about that your bounce rate has effect on your rankings on your keyword. This google would like to filter those sites that are not really relevant on that keyword.

Yeah, there are a lot of people talking about martians as well, would you believe them as well??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!