• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Is There A Standard For Google Analytics Traffic Sources Breakdown?

Best Answer qwerty , 01 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Speaking as someone whose job is mostly to increase the organic search traffic of a site, I'd say that you don't want to find yourself in a situation where almost all of your traffic is coming from that one source. It's dangerous to be dependent on any single source, but if that single source is organic search, you're at the mercy of changes to the algorithm that can happen at any time. Imagine if 90% of your business all came from one source, and overnight, that one source dried up, even temporarily.

It looks to me like you've got a nice breakdown of traffic from a variety of sources, and if all of those sources are actually converting well, I'd say you're in good shape.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 findlay123

findlay123

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

Hi,

I have a B2B electronics site that currently has a Traffic Sources (Google Analytics) breakdown of:

54% Search Traffic

21% Referral Traffic

25% Direct Traffic

I have been asked whether there is any industry standard to which I can compare this, to determine whether or not the site is performing well or whether a certain area would benefit from a higher percentage.

I imagine that as all sites are different that this is not going to be black and white, but any sort of indication for what I should be aiming for would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,632 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:41 PM   Best Answer

Speaking as someone whose job is mostly to increase the organic search traffic of a site, I'd say that you don't want to find yourself in a situation where almost all of your traffic is coming from that one source. It's dangerous to be dependent on any single source, but if that single source is organic search, you're at the mercy of changes to the algorithm that can happen at any time. Imagine if 90% of your business all came from one source, and overnight, that one source dried up, even temporarily.

It looks to me like you've got a nice breakdown of traffic from a variety of sources, and if all of those sources are actually converting well, I'd say you're in good shape.

#3 findlay123

findlay123

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

Brilliant! Thanks for the reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,