• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Wordpress Vs Blogger

Best Answer torka , 29 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Don't think it really makes all that much difference. All the search engines will crawl the pages no matter which one they're hosted on. Crawling and indexing depends on the links that point to the pages and the content that's on the pages, not where they're hosted.

Move if it will provide you with better functionality or some features that you need but don't have where you are.

But honestly, if you're going to move the blog, I'd suggest moving it off of a hosted platform and putting it on a server and domain you control. Any of those platforms (Blogger, Wordpress.com, etc.) if you read their terms of service, you'll see they reserve the right to delete your account for any reason (or no reason at all) at any time, with no advance warning to you. While that's unlikely to happen, if it does, it would seriously suck.

Putting the blog on a domain you control, on your own server, eliminates those kinds of problems. Of course, you'll also want to take regular database backups (there are plugins to automate this process) and keep backups of any customizations you do to your theme.

It also allows you the freedom to install a totally custom theme, add any plugins you want and post whatever kind of content you want without worrying about running afoul of a blog platform's terms of service. For my money, there's just a lot more freedom and control when you're not tied to a third-party blogging platform.

Most hosting companies offer "one click" installs of Wordpress and there are tons of plugins (and some themes) that make integration with Google Analytics, Google+, Google Authorship, etc. very very simple. If for some reason you don't like Wordpress, many hosting companies support other blogging software as well, and many will allow you to install additional software of your choice (they just won't provide support; you'd have to go to the software vendor directly for support if you have trouble). So you could use pretty much any blogging software you wanted. (I happen to personally love Wordpress, but your mileage may vary.)

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pam

Pam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

We have a company blog on wordpress.  There is discussion about moving the blog to Blogger since it's preceived to be a better choice for integration with the google suite.

My question has to do with whether either of these platforms have more reach. I did hear that blogger only submits posts to google while Worpress posts will get picked up beyond google.

Not sure if this is currently true, but interested in feedback before we make a switch.

THanks.

Pam

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,587 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:43 AM   Best Answer

Don't think it really makes all that much difference. All the search engines will crawl the pages no matter which one they're hosted on. Crawling and indexing depends on the links that point to the pages and the content that's on the pages, not where they're hosted.

Move if it will provide you with better functionality or some features that you need but don't have where you are.

But honestly, if you're going to move the blog, I'd suggest moving it off of a hosted platform and putting it on a server and domain you control. Any of those platforms (Blogger, Wordpress.com, etc.) if you read their terms of service, you'll see they reserve the right to delete your account for any reason (or no reason at all) at any time, with no advance warning to you. While that's unlikely to happen, if it does, it would seriously suck.

Putting the blog on a domain you control, on your own server, eliminates those kinds of problems. Of course, you'll also want to take regular database backups (there are plugins to automate this process) and keep backups of any customizations you do to your theme.

It also allows you the freedom to install a totally custom theme, add any plugins you want and post whatever kind of content you want without worrying about running afoul of a blog platform's terms of service. For my money, there's just a lot more freedom and control when you're not tied to a third-party blogging platform.

Most hosting companies offer "one click" installs of Wordpress and there are tons of plugins (and some themes) that make integration with Google Analytics, Google+, Google Authorship, etc. very very simple. If for some reason you don't like Wordpress, many hosting companies support other blogging software as well, and many will allow you to install additional software of your choice (they just won't provide support; you'd have to go to the software vendor directly for support if you have trouble). So you could use pretty much any blogging software you wanted. (I happen to personally love Wordpress, but your mileage may vary.)

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

I did hear that blogger only submits posts to google while Worpress posts will get picked up beyond google.

I can tell you from personal experience that that is not the case. I run several Blogger-hosted blogs, and they all do just as well (or just as badly) in Bing, etc. as in Google.

I agree with Torka that a self-hosted solution is preferable. But if, for any reason, that's not practical, it's worth customising your Blogger blog so as to impose your own branding on it. For example, register your own domain name for it, use your own favicon, etc.

Mike

#4 Pam

Pam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

THanks for the feedback. I  have suggested installing the blog on our domain, however am meeting resistance.

Bottom line, no difference really between the two in performance.

Thanks again.

Pam

#5 imexperttools

imexperttools

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

For small businesses with limited knowledge about website, hosting and such then blog services such as Blogger or Wordpress is a very useful choice which provide them with quick access to the online world for their products.

Regarding Blogger and Wordpress, i would say Blogger might be a better choice if you are going to apply search engine optimization for your site. The reason why i say Blogger "might be" a better choice than Wordpress because the original structure of Wordpress URLs is not very SEO-friendly comparing to the simplicity of Blogger.

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,587 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Sorry, but "lack of tech savvy" is no excuse, IMO.

Obtaining a hosting account is a simple operation. Many hosting companies nowadays cater to the non-technical crowd. If you have a credit card and can type your name and address into an online form, you can get a shared hosting account, which is plenty sufficient for a small-business website/blog.

Once you have the hosting account, user-friendly control panels offer one-click installs of all sorts of software, including blogging software. Some even come with a choice of software, so their customers aren't locked in to using Wordpress if they don't want. Again, it doesn't require a lot of technical savvy. If you can click a button on a web page, you can install a blog.

When it comes to actually operating the blog, for less than $25 a business owner can buy a "Wordpress for Dummies" book that will teach them, step-by-step, everything they need to know.

In the wake of the recent announcement that Posterous is closing down (even though Twitter promised they would keep the service up and running, back when they bought it), Ruud Hein wrote an excellent article explaining why placing your company blog on a third-party service is a risky idea:  How To Not Make The Mistake 15 Million Posterous Bloggers Made With 63 Million Pages

• Jill likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!