• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Advice On Internal Linking To City Pages

Best Answer Jill , 29 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Well you can have as many as you need, but just remember that the more links you have on a page, the less PageRank each link will receive. 

If you have tons, you may want to link to more general area landing pages, which then further branch out into their own city/town landing pages.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

HI, my field is a field where people will search adding a location such as Montreal blue widget, Toronto blue widget etc.? My site is Canadian so people will use all the provinces and main cities with their keywords.

I have about 50 different keywords. They have all a pages for every provinces and cities. Now in my internal navigation, I have only the name of the province or city so that makes a lot the same internal links ex: Ontario can be about 50 times linking to 50 different pages and about the  same for pretty much every provinces and cities. I am not sure I it would be perceived by search engine?

Furthermore, I do not want to do internal links like this ex: Ontario blue widget, Alberta blue widget etc. for every provinces and cities. It would look like keyword stuffing.

Any idea how It would be best to make my navigation optimal without looking spammy?

One idea I had was to create some of these navigations in the content. It would be doable for me for a lot of them.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

What about having one page for the service which lists all the locations?

#3 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

I think that can probably work out. Maybe something like a page " Our services". Should I Use only a certain amount of links for a page? Or it does not matter. Cause I have a lot of them.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:19 AM   Best Answer

Well you can have as many as you need, but just remember that the more links you have on a page, the less PageRank each link will receive. 

If you have tons, you may want to link to more general area landing pages, which then further branch out into their own city/town landing pages.

#5 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

That make sense. Probably the best would be to diversify my linking from links in the content, navigation pages ( what you said) and regular navigation ( ex: left).

I need to rethink so I do not dilute my links and make it usable and friendly for visitors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!