• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Advise On New Seo Strategy For Multiple Sites Selling The Same Product

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 seotoronto2013

seotoronto2013

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Hi HR!

We've been selling the same products through multiple sites and are starting to question the effectiveness of our current SEO efforts when it comes to ranking keywords shared between our sites. Currently, our strategy has been to try and rank each of our sites for the same keywords. After researching the ranking of our own sites for keywords we're targeting, we've realized that some of our sites are ranking much better than other sites for the same keyword.

What we've also realized is that our single-site competitors are outranking every one of our sites. My theory is that our competitors might have an advantage of applying all of their SEO energy towards one site, while we're splitting our energy among our group of individual sites. So, while we have a group of sites ranking fairly well, no individual site is ranking as high as our competitors who are dominating the top 3 positions on Google search result pages for our targeted keywords.

A new SEO strategy we're considering is to look at our SEO from a keyword-centric point of view rather than from a website point of view.  This means that we'll take note of which sites (our own) are best ranked for a targeted keyword and apply our SEO for that keyword to that site only.  We believe that by not trying to rank more than one site for the same keyword, we can consolidate our SEO energy to push our better ranked sites (based on keyword) higher up on Google's first search results page.

It's my assumption that if one of our sites ranks very high for a certain keyword (using this new SEO strategy), it'll be far more valuable to us than a group of our sites with an average ranking for the same keyword since discovering that 50+% of clicks on Google's search first search results page goes to the first 3 positions - http://searchenginew...of-Clicks-Study

Do you think we're heading down the right path with the new SEO strategy we're considering?

Thank you for your time!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

My theory is that our competitors might have an advantage of applying all of their SEO energy towards one site, while we're splitting our energy among our group of individual sites

Yep. That's always been true. 

#3 finalstep

finalstep

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I had the same issue, what I did is made one of those site's hope page LOOK like an index page and linked all the other sites from it. So I focused all my SEO on that "index page" and as a result drove traffic to all the websites. This will also save you a ton on SEM.

Edited by Jill, 02 February 2013 - 01:43 PM.
Removed site as per forum rules

#4 gregorysmith

gregorysmith

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

In my opinion --- it's difficult enough as it is trying to establish one business, let along 10 - 20 ... I suggest you to focus all your drive in one direction and once you reach your destination --- then attempt climbing another mountain.

just my $0.02

Edited by gregorysmith, 15 February 2013 - 05:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.