• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

I Have 500+ Links From One Site - Good Thing Or Bad Thing?

Best Answer lister , 27 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hey - Matt Cutts 100% answers this exact question.

In short - it is not a problem as long as the OBL's are from a similar niche - (the links will be diluted as well).

If the YouTube Vid doesnt show just type into YT - "How does Google consider site-wide backlinks?" and its one of Matt Cutts question/ answer sessions.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

A fan of my website decided to place a flattering link on their site which is great - but - they put me on their main template meaning that EVERY page on their site links to me. They have like 500+ pages so its that many links back to me.

The site with the OBL's to me is clean, relevant (niche-relevant) and I scanned it for viruses, reputation etc and it all seems to be good.

Question is - will Google think that something odd is going on?

I have probably about 20+ links from excellent websites, and about 40 no-follow which is fine b/c I am involved in a lot of conversations about my niche. I've never done any black-hat on my site and want to keep it as clean as possible hence the question. Worth mentioning that my blog on the same site also does well with people commenting etc etc.

Thanks.

#2 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

I feel that this is a non-concern.  Google and other search engines know that this happens frequently and should be smart enough to adjust value accordingly. Say you're a web designer and you've dropped a link to your website in a footer of a client's site. You'll get the value of one link and the balance would be ignored.  Whether it be one or ten thousand links it's still one unique domain.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Typically I would say it shouldn't be a problem. However, there was a guy in my SEO class yesterday who owns a hosting company and swears that when a large client linked to him similarly, he was out of the google results until it was removed. 

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,589 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

I think it's a case-by-case thing, and it's probably affected to at least some extent by how big a percentage of all of your backlinks are coming from this one site. Just keep an eye on it and see if anything happens. If you get a note from Google about unnatural links, I think it's likely this is the cause, but I agree with the others that it's pretty unlikely that will happen.

Here's a story from close to ten years ago, so it's not particularly relevant, but maybe it's worth thinking about. I run a site as a favor for a friend of mine, and I decided some time around 2003 or 2004 that I might as well derive some business benefit from it, so I added links to my site to the footer of all of her pages -- just "site designed, optimized and maintained by [my site's name]" with the name of the site anchoring a link.

I think it was less than a year later that I noticed my site wasn't even showing up on searches for its name, and I saw on one of the forums that a lot of SEOs were having a similar experience. What seemed to be the case was that these run of site links accounted for around half of our total backlinks. What I ended up doing was recoding the footer links to point to a single internal page on my friend's site, and had that one page talk about what I do for the site and link over to mine. A week or two after I made the change, I was back.

I can't prove that I interpreted the situation correctly. It might have all been coincidence. And the fact that it happened so long ago makes it a lot less relevant to your situation. And of course this was long before Google started sending out warnings about questionable linking strategies. I don't think Webmaster Tools even existed yet. But I still tend to think that the sudden appearance of a large number of links, all from the same place and (this is the important part, I think) those links make up a big chunk of your total backlinks, there's some potential that it could be deemed unnatural.

And I do mean just "potential." There are times when it makes perfect sense. When Bill Slawski of SEO by the Sea joined an agency last year, he added a link to their site on every page of his. I sincerely doubt this caused Google to question the validity of the sudden appearance of all of those links.

#5 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

The common CMS system template is designed with a footer that is common to all pages on the site. By default you will commonly see the demo themes with this footer and a link to both the theme shop and perhaps something else.  With Joomla and probably the others you can override this behavior. If you want you could:

• Create footer version #1 with the link and apply this to the home page and a few others.
  • Create footer version #2 without and apply this to all 'but' the other pages.

I still believe the search engines should be smart and sympathetic to common footer site designed by practices as this is not intended to be spammy, but if Jill or Qwerty have seen evidence otherwise, then use the above technique.

I don't know that it was necessary but I did something similar to a MaPa shop I manage with modules/boxes to eradicate any potential duplicate content issues.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,725 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

It is really going to depend on the "link profile" BEFORE the links were discovered by Google.

Computers analyze patterns, so a sudden spike in links to a single URL that has a relatively flat "graph" is going to raise a flag, but for a URL that routinely gets links in 'bunches' it won't be an issue.

#7 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Computers analyze patterns, so a sudden spike in links to a single URL that has a relatively flat "graph" is going to raise a flag, but for a URL that routinely gets links in 'bunches' it won't be an issue.

Now THAT I do agree with.

To me unatural links would be 2,000 links all with different anchor text when G can SEE through Analytics that your site has only had 200 visits in it's lifetime.

G is a computer, those 200 Visits "could" equate to 200 sets of eyeballs.

Which makes it suspicious, how can 2,000 websites be linking to a site that has only been seen by 200 people?

Natural progression if there is ANY truth to what I hear kicked around this place, is that G likes natural links. Well, apparently.

Now, a natural link to me would be, someone reads your content, likes it and links to it, 2,000 links can't happen if only 200 people have read it.

That's where the G algo does the math.

It is a math based machine. Nothing more nothing less.

That is what I think, it might sound like complete crap and probably is, but that is the only logical criteria that G could possibly use to determine what exactly is an unnatural link profile, amongst other things, but this is the main Criteria I personally think it uses. And it is only my opinion.

It is only my opinion and if it sounds like a crock of crap...then bite me. I don't care. It's what I think.

Edited by SelfMade, 26 January 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Yes, but it's also very easy to add a link from every page of a site via a template. Google obviously knows this too and would surely accommodate for it in some way. 

#9 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

So Jill, meaning that you're not on the phone with your newfangled web designer this minute requesting his/her link be pulled from your footer? Oh my...

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

No. (And I could remove it myself if I wanted to :) )

plus it's only on the home page I believe. 

#11 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:16 AM   Best Answer

In short - it is not a problem as long as the OBL's are from a similar niche - (the links will be diluted as well).

If the YouTube Vid doesnt show just type into YT - "How does Google consider site-wide backlinks?" and its one of Matt Cutts question/ answer sessions.

#12 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

No.

He gives you HIS answer 100%.

That is: the answer he wants you to believe.

Matt Cutts is the highest paid Spin Doctor on the planet.

Yeah believe everything cutts tells you.

You have to test and see what works for you, Cutts is never going to tell you. It's spin.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

I agree that Matt often does tell you what he wants you to believe, but it's also always best practice. If you use the information Matt (and I) tell you, you'll never have to worry about algorithm changes and black and white furry animals.

Now that Google puts their money where their mouth is and actually do penalize sites for the things they say they will, you'd be pretty dumb not to listen to (and go by) what Matt says. Unless of course you don't mind churning and burning domains. That's a whole 'nother ballgame and not one we are very interested in around HRF.

#14 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,725 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

how can 2,000 websites be linking to a site that has only been seen by 200 people?

Very easily, with a RSS feed that is picked by content aggregators and republished with the source linked, a URL could have thousands of links with not even a single person reading it.

If you have a lot of posts on a forum that publishes the members "latest blog post", that URL will have a link for every post made at that forum INSTANTLY. Any post on Matt Cutts's blog probably has a couple of thousand links before he move his mouse away from the [Publish] button.

What would be suspicious? The short-sighted 'Expert' link building, where "all links lead to home".

#15 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

right so basically what we are saying here (if i understand) is - "it doesnt really matter"...... quote from me.

Bottom line - if it looks spam and it is spam then it will be treated as spam.

If the 500 links (due to whatever - WP template etc) are natural and niche relevant then all is well.

Am I cool?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!