• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Do Links To Category Pages Help The Posts Within?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

So...

On one of my sites I have a couple of categories.

If I build links to each Category, will each post within that category benefit from the links pointed at the category?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question, or what you mean by categories. If you mean there are two (or more) sections to the site, that's perfectly normal, and getting backlinks to those sections, as opposed to having everything point to the home page, is certainly of some value.

Of course, it's how you (or others) link to those locations that matter -- where the links are coming from and what anchor text is used. And whether links to category home pages will help internal pages within those categories depends not just on what I mentioned above, but how you link pages to each other within each category.

#3 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

I mean:

Category A   

post a

postb

postc

postd

Category B

post a

postb

postc

postd

Category C

post a

postb

postc

postd

If I link build to each category AND main domain ~(homepage) will my individual posts in EACH category benefit?

I don't want to have to linkbuild/backlink to every single post.

Although I WILL definately bookmark everypost, but my main core backlinking will be homepage and Category based.

That's what I'm saying..does that sound right?...it's one of my blogs.

Edited by SelfMade, 23 January 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Yes, as long as you're linking to your posts from those pages, they will receive internal link popularity from both the home page and the category pages. 

But if you're creating posts that nobody likes and therefore they don't mention them in social media and within their own sites, your own internal link popularity probably won't help them succeed very well. 

#5 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

But if you're creating posts that nobody likes and therefore they don't mention them in social media and within their own sites, your own internal link popularity probably won't help them succeed very well. 

I don't know how to get them to like my posts.

I can't force them to do it.

One of my sites that's in the Fitness Niche, get's loads of tweets/likes and some don't at all.

That's why G is stupid. Just because someone doesn't click "like" or whatever, that does not mean they didn't like my post. It just means they didn't click the "like" button.

To decide if a site ranks or not on that variable is ridiculous imo.

As per your answer to my original question, that answers my question. Thanks.

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

That's why G is stupid. Just because someone doesn't click "like" or whatever, that does not mean they didn't like my post. It just means they didn't click the "like" button.

Two responses to that bit: first, a link and a "like" are not synonymous. Google doesn't treat them the same way. In fact, Google doesn't have access to much information from facebook. Second, it's up to you, not just to come up with content that people actually like, but to find ways to convince those people to express the fact that they like the content by way of the Like button (or tweeting, or linking). You need to experiment with ways of getting the right response from your audience, like choosing the best placement for the social media buttons.

#7 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

a link and a "like" are not synonymous. Google doesn't treat them the same way. In fact, Google doesn't have access to much information from facebook.

In the UK we have an expression that goes:

"Your preaching to the Choir"

What that means is, I agree with you.

It's Jill that is saying Social Twits and Licks are what help rank posts and play an active part....not me.

I've never understood that, for the exact reason as you just said, G just does NOT have that sort of info from FB and Twitter.

I question the whole entire concept of "Social Signals".

1) It's waaaaaay too easy to game, I know that because I've seen it done.

2) G just does NOT have access to the kind of info that gives "Social Proof" any substance beyond some people have seen "some" results that "might" have been because someone Twitted or Licked.

P.S for example look at the buttons on this forum, i've never clicked any of them, cclearly I like the posts or I wouldn't be here, so because I haven't "clicked" any of them, G should treat the content as crap should they?...nope.

Edited by SelfMade, 23 January 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Well, Google does give some weight to +1s, and Bing (although I don't pay much attention to it) pays attention to facebook and twitter. But social signals do matter. They can send you direct traffic, and they can lead to links.

And "preaching to the choir" is used in Murca too :)

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,667 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Getting links to ANY, ALL and EVERY URL that needs visitors is better.

And just in case you miss it, it says "needs VISITORS" not rankings.

#10 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Getting links to ANY, ALL and EVERY URL that needs visitors is better.

And just in case you miss it, it says "needs VISITORS" not rankings.

Huh? No I don't get it.

The only way you'll get "visitors" is through rankings, and mostly the only way you get rankings is through links.

Isn't Visitors and Rankings one and the same? No?

#11 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Nope, but rankings may bring visitors, if they're rankings on queries people actually search on, and the result appears in such a way that it compels click-throughs.

#12 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Well, I can only do my best.

Just trying to make a living.

#13 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,667 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Huh? No I don't get it.

Hey! Look at that now, something we can agree on :)

The only way you'll get "visitors" is through rankings, and mostly the only way you get rankings is through links.

Isn't Visitors and Rankings one and the same? No?

Nowhere near, and links have this whole secret life  that is a total mystery to many people.

#14 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Nowhere near, and links have this whole secret life  that is a total mystery to many people.

What?

That just looks like a lot of words to say one thing: Guest Blogging.

Your whole premise of that entire post is "oh, guest blogging to build links cos people click them links!!"

So what?...

And you have the audacity to call me last century? :blahblah1:

Edited by SelfMade, 23 January 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#15 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,667 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Your view of the whole thing is so narrow and it's your ideas that are back in 1995, take your blinkers off, and stop confusing SEO with marketing and.promotion,

The article is nothing to do with "Guest blogging" as such but certainly, if you  can reach your target audience by guest blogging and get your URLs in front if interested people who will click through and earn you a sale who cares what it is called?

Talking to people on forums, is exactly the same thing as having a market stall and telling the shoppers walking by what you have on offer.

Buy some adverts, that's like putting an ad in the local paper.

Understand that your links are ADVERTS for what you sell and advertising is what brings buyers, so the better the placing of those adverts, the better the resulting traffic. Dropping random links anywhere and everywhere  is the equivalent of fly-posting, lots of people notice them, but don't really read them or act on them.

Links for traffic are NEVER going lose their 'value' at the whym of some algorithm and if they are on the right location could be sending converting traffic for months, possibly years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!