• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Content Issue On Powered Domain Vs Vertical Industry Website

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,324 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

And our all pubs are getting good traffic from search engine

Then why do you even care?

Duplicate content URLs are not removed or penalised, simply filtered from some searches. Why not run some tests by redirecting some of the duplicates and see how  it affects  the traffic overall.

#32 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

We care to maximize our traffic from search engine. Still we are not raking on page 1 with some of potential keywords which our competitors ranked. 

#33 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,087 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

That doesn't mean that you're not getting more or better traffic than they are. 

• mansipadhya likes this

#34 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

That doesn't mean that you're not getting more or better traffic than they are. 

Yes that's true. But our advertisers see ranking of our competitors which is higher than us for some search queries. So get more advertisers we want to increase ranking & maximize our search engine traffic. But some cases, duplicate content might get hurt. 

#35 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,324 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

Then show your clients something REAL!

Such as site logs or Ad impressions, educate them into the fact that "rankings" are NOT to be trusted as a measure of anything useful.

• mansipadhya likes this

#36 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Then show your clients something REAL!

Such as site logs or Ad impressions, educate them into the fact that "rankings" are NOT to be trusted as a measure of anything useful.

Yes I can figure out other things to show them. But our only & only traffic source is search engine, we are not doing any other marketing activities. So some how we have to increase traffic for all pubs from SEs.  

#37 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,687 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Well, that's your biggest problem then. Relying on organic SE traffic for every bit of traffic to your client's sites is a highly risky -- one is tempted to say reckless -- strategy.

Search engine algorithms change all the time. Google puts through MORE than one algo update every single day. You simply cannot predict when one (or more) of those changes is going to have an adverse effect on the client's site.

It may not be the result of anything they've done "wrong." There have been many instances we have heard of here where legitimate business sites get caught in the crossfire. They become what is sometimes referred to as "collateral damage." Google didn't intend to slap down that particular site, but because it's profile was similar to sites they were targeting, the legitimate business site is dropped down or removed from the SERPs.

When that happens, the business owners flock to forums such as this, wailing that unless they get their search traffic back they're going to lose their business. Employees will be laid off, suppliers will go unpaid, the business owners will go bankrupt.

And we have to tell them, there's nothing we can do. They can file reinclusion requests and complain on forums and write angry letters to Sergey and Larry, but in the final analysis there's nothing anyone can do to make Google list their pages. Google is under no obligation to list anyone's page at any particular position. If they choose to downgrade or eliminate pages that meet certain criteria, that's their prerogative, and nobody can force them to do otherwise.

(In fact, more than one company has taken them to court to try to do just that. Every company that has tried this has failed. The SERPs are Google's property and they can list -- or not list -- whoever they want.)

All we can do at that point is tell them they need to investigate other marketing channels. However, when you're facing business collapse, that's not the best time to try to jump into new marketing initiatives. Business owners need to have set up accounts, made contacts and developed expertise in these other channels before they really, really need them.

This client must implement other marketing tactics beyond SEO if they want to remain viable as a business. You simply cannot rely on organic search as the only source of traffic for the site.

--Torka :propeller:

• mansipadhya likes this

#38 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Then it put me my job in trouble... lol :fool:  

#39 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

For our other mirror website, we decided to block through robots as redirection is not possible for some reason. But all the four domains are pointing to one root directory, so how I can specify or coding in the robots.txt which domain to ignore?   

#40 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

For our other mirror website, we decided to block through robots as redirection is not possible for some reason. But all the four domains are pointing to one root directory, so how I can specify or coding in the robots.txt which domain to ignore?   

Anybody knows about multiple website block through robots?? my above issue. 

#41 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,647 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

So you're saying that no matter what domain's robots.txt file a search engine requests, it's going to get the same file? I'm afraid that's just not going to work. If you've got site1.com, site2.com, site3.com and site4.com all pointing to the same files, and the file you get when you open site2.com/robots.txt is the same file as site3.com/robots.txt, then there's no way to tell a search engine to stay away from anything unless you want it to stay away from everything. Robots.txt can only refer to directories and pages on the domain it's on.

So if I open site1.com/robots.txt and it tells me I'm disallowed from looking at any URLs on site2.com, that's not going to help. If you wanted to block site2.com/page.htm, you need a line that says

User-agent: *
Disallow: /page.htm

That's going to block /page.htm on all four domains. And you can't specify

Disallow: site2.com/page.htm

...because it just doesn't work that way. If it did, I could put in my robots.txt file that search engines were disallowed from a site I don't actually control.

• mansipadhya likes this

#42 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

So you're saying that no matter what domain's robots.txt file a search engine requests, it's going to get the same file? I'm afraid that's just not going to work. If you've got site1.com, site2.com, site3.com and site4.com all pointing to the same files, and the file you get when you open site2.com/robots.txt is the same file as site3.com/robots.txt, then there's no way to tell a search engine to stay away from anything unless you want it to stay away from everything. Robots.txt can only refer to directories and pages on the domain it's on.

So if I open site1.com/robots.txt and it tells me I'm disallowed from looking at any URLs on site2.com, that's not going to help. If you wanted to block site2.com/page.htm, you need a line that says

Disallow: /page.htm

That's going to block /page.htm on all four domains. And you can't specify

Disallow: site2.com/page.htm

...because it just doesn't work that way. If it did, I could put in my robots.txt file that search engines were disallowed from a site I don't actually control.

So you mean to say that there is nothing any seo practice to specify multiple domain in robots to block search engine? So instead of I have to put noindex, nofollow tag on each domain? 

#43 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,647 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

If you could give each site its own robots.txt, you could do it that way. But they can't share the file unless you want to block the same URLs on every domain.

And again, if it's the same pages on every site, calling the same documents from the server, you can't use a robots meta tag either, unless you can add it to the page dynamically, based on the full URL (including the domain name) that's being requested.

I think setting up 301 redirects from the three domains you don't want indexed to the one you do want indexed is going to be a lot easier.

#44 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Business prospective we cant close those three domain at the moment by using redirection method. But we do optimize only one website. So If I add noindex tag to those three.. it doesn't work?  So what exactly Do I need to add to block search engine for three website?

#45 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,647 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Where are you going to put the noindex tag? If a given page is the same document, being called from the same server, no matter which domain it's displayed on, then when you put the tag on a page it's going to be on all four domains' version of the page.

How do you plan on making a change to a page on three of the domains when it's the same file displaying on all four domains?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!