• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Content Issue On Powered Domain Vs Vertical Industry Website

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hello Guys

Can you help me on following situation for my website.

My company wants to create one powered job board website, they want to replicate this job board on all other 40 vertical industry website as a directory folder like subset of that job board. Such as www.mysite.com/jobs, www.abc.com/jobs, www.ctl.com/jobs etc.  Those all 40 website will have unique industry news article, home page content is unique, all navigation pages has also unique content but only job folder has duplicate as part of powered domain. So I am wondering that will Google consider as a duplicate pages & penalized those website & demote ranking for all 40 website?

SEO can be possible for all those website to achieving traffic from search engine?

Please let me know if anyone has great idea about this situation.  

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,612 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

So all of these different job boards will be publishing exactly the same jobs? Are we talking about one identical page of jobs on each site, or lots of them?

I think that in the time of the Panda, the best you can hope for with something like this is that it won't hurt you. It's not going to help you. And sites do continue to do this kind of thing, apparently without suffering for it. Try going to any site that sells books, grab some text from a single book's description, and search Google for that text. You'll probably find that dozens of book sites are using exactly the same description.

People do publish unoriginal content and, while it most likely doesn't help them, it doesn't always hurt them. But for one entity to publish a bunch of identical pages on a bunch of domains... I'd be worried.

• mansipadhya likes this

#3 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Thank you for your reply. yes our all vertical industry website has a same job listing. There is not only one job page, its a thousand of job listing pages on all website which is grab from one powered job bored domain. But scene is all those website has original content on home page, daily publish industry news, articles, videos etc.. just only job section (folder) is duplicate. So how we can best optimize if we want to add job section to each website. Is there any other way?

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,596 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

You could always use robots.txt to block the spiders from the job board folder. Since the best that section would likely do otherwise would be "not hurt you," blocking the spiders from that section shouldn't do any harm and would prevent any duplicate content issues from cropping up in the first place.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

Edited by torka, 18 January 2013 - 02:07 PM.
clarification

#5 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Yes I can block through robots but all those industry websites job pages will not get indexed. Just I will receive  traffic from search engine for only one domain. 

As per the business prospective we want to utilize all website to get traffic from search engine through job also. From our database we have only one entire job board with various listing that we want to use on other verticle industry publication website. 

So as a SEO strategy how I can work out?

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Didn't you say you'll have one powered job board site? And the listings will be duplicated on all the industry vertical sites?

Well, let the listings be indexed on the job board site, and exclude them on the other sites.

Either that, or you're going to have potentially massively duplicated content. You pay your money, you make your choice.

• mansipadhya likes this

#7 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Didn't you say you'll have one powered job board site? And the listings will be duplicated on all the industry vertical sites?

Well, let the listings be indexed on the job board site, and exclude them on the other sites.

Either that, or you're going to have potentially massively duplicated content. You pay your money, you make your choice.

So you mean to say that I can keep only one website to get indexed all pages? From other all website, I have to put no index to stop search engine being seen those duplicate content.  

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,837 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

That's about the size of it, or of course you could leave it up to the SEs to decide what document URIs to index and show to searchers, which of course will probably not be the ones that you would prefer.

• mansipadhya likes this

#9 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

That's about the size of it, or of course you could leave it up to the SEs to decide what document URIs to index and show to searchers, which of course will probably not be the ones that you would prefer.

Yes true. But It may also change to get penalized by SEs.

Actually My company has lots of publication magazine website & they want to add same job section as a folder directory on all pubs. They want to get traffic for all websites through search engine so what's the specific seo solution for this case??

#10 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,612 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

The search engines wouldn't want you to do this -- not if you expect them to index all of the duplicate content. They don't want to spend the resources needed to crawl and index it all if most of it is just a copy of content that's available elsewhere. So there really isn't a specific SEO solution to get it all indexed, unless you find a way to make each version unique, and that's about the content being unique. Formatting each version differently won't stop search engines from viewing it as duplicate content.

I can see how it could be useful to your audience to have this content accessible on all the different sites, so I'm not suggesting you shouldn't publish the job boards. But you need to show the search engines that you're not trying to waste their time by showing them the same thing over and over. You can either do that by blocking indexation of all the boards but one, or you could publish just one and link to it from all of the different sites. That latter suggestion might be a little less convenient for your users, as they'd be taken off the site they were on (you could always set the link to open in a new tab/window), but it would serve to add a bit more link juice to the one job board.

• mansipadhya likes this

#11 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

The search engines wouldn't want you to do this -- not if you expect them to index all of the duplicate content. They don't want to spend the resources needed to crawl and index it all if most of it is just a copy of content that's available elsewhere. So there really isn't a specific SEO solution to get it all indexed, unless you find a way to make each version unique, and that's about the content being unique. Formatting each version differently won't stop search engines from viewing it as duplicate content.

I can see how it could be useful to your audience to have this content accessible on all the different sites, so I'm not suggesting you shouldn't publish the job boards. But you need to show the search engines that you're not trying to waste their time by showing them the same thing over and over. You can either do that by blocking indexation of all the boards but one, or you could publish just one and link to it from all of the different sites. That latter suggestion might be a little less convenient for your users, as they'd be taken off the site they were on (you could always set the link to open in a new tab/window), but it would serve to add a bit more link juice to the one job board.

So ultimately they need to change the business strategy to make unique all domains for Search engine? And SEO strategy can not be applied for even duplicate page / directory or duplicate domain if we want to see traffic from SEs. Is it correct?

#12 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,612 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Right. Duplicate content isn't an SEO strategy. It's an SEO issue that needs to be addressed by an SEO strategy. It comes down to a question of canonicalization: you either make sure all of your content is unique, so the search engine will view every page as canonical, or you deal with duplication by sending a clear signal to the search engine as to which version of a given page is canonical, either by telling the engine to ignore all but one version, or using rel-canonical to specify which version to pay attention to.

#13 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Okay. Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. Just quick question: instead of putting noindex, no follow, if I specify rel canonical so search engine doesn't show my non canonical page but keep crawling & following all links which I mentioned on that page? is that reason?

#14 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,612 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

You could put a robots meta tag with content of "noindex, follow" instead of "noindex, nofollow." That way, search engines will crawl those pages and discover links on them, but won't add them to the index.

The rel-canonical method would involve putting a tag on the duplicate pages indicating that the one page you want indexed is the canonical version of that content. The tag would also go on the page you want index, so it would be declaring itself to be canonical as well. The advantage to doing it that way is that Google may view the duplicates as a group, so that if anyone links to one of those page it will count, at least in part, as a link to the canonical page. I can't guarantee it will accomplish that, but people whose knowledge of these things I trust have told me it works. I've just never seen clear evidence of it working, since you can't really demonstrate that a link to a non-canonical page actually provides a boost to the canonical one.

I can pretty much guarantee you'll avoid duplicate content issues with either of those methods.

• mansipadhya likes this

#15 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,837 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

So ultimately they need to change the business strategy to make unique all domains for Search engine?

No! They need to change their business strategy to NOT expect, need or want traffic from search engine results.

It is NOT a sensible strategy to rely on getting business and earnings from a source that is not within your control, may or may not send converting traffic, or may simply stop sending traffic one day with no warning, no right of appeal and no indication of why it has dried up.

Edited by chrishirst, 23 January 2013 - 04:35 PM.

• mansipadhya likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!