• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How To Rank High In Google Places

Best Answer bobmeetin , 26 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

I found this seemingly relevant article, http://www.davidmihm.com/local-search-ranking-factors.shtml.  It names structured and unstructured citations as well as other factors including reviews. So we add another acronym to the/my list, NAP. Name, address, phone.  The article seems to suggest that citations are focused around NAP accuracy. So, synchronizing NAP across all local listings under your control is probably a good thing.

It also talks about inbound links, as with organic results.  I still have some trouble with this because there are, even in 2013, small businesses that exist without websites and IMHO they ought to have equal opportunity to thrive in the Places environment.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

I'm trying to better understand how to rank well in Google Places. Does places rely upon inbound links the same as organic results? I read something elsewhere talking about citations but don't really understand the difference between citations and inbound links. Feedback please.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,110 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

citations and inbound links

There isn't one in reality, it's just the usual "baffle them with bullshit " 'expert' techno speak routine.

A "citation" is "A reference to a published source" which is EXACTLY what a link is.

Edited by chrishirst, 17 January 2013 - 07:53 AM.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

I think a citation can also be a mention of the company without a link. 

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

I like Chris's new acronym, BTWBS, but I think the reference has to do with company name without link. I used to work with "Sun". If I were to cite Sun in a paragraph, no one, not Adam nor Eve nor even Google would be able to authoritatively discern that the reference was to the Sun I worked for as opposed to the noun or even the verb, sun.

So, where are these loosey goosey citations since they are not links to become of value such that Google Places could actually grab some juice?

Seems to me it would have to be from other sources where business citations could be qualified, i.e. pages listing services.  Directories???

DMOZ, Yahoo Local, Local.com, CitySearch, Bing whatever, HotFrog, YP, some niche list, etc?

Over?

Au contraire, if inbound links to businesses were a key ingredient for a high places rank, then that would be a deal killer for businesses which do not have websites.

#5 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:59 AM   Best Answer

I found this seemingly relevant article, http://www.davidmihm.com/local-search-ranking-factors.shtml.  It names structured and unstructured citations as well as other factors including reviews. So we add another acronym to the/my list, NAP. Name, address, phone.  The article seems to suggest that citations are focused around NAP accuracy. So, synchronizing NAP across all local listings under your control is probably a good thing.

It also talks about inbound links, as with organic results.  I still have some trouble with this because there are, even in 2013, small businesses that exist without websites and IMHO they ought to have equal opportunity to thrive in the Places environment.

• imexperttools likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!