• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

E-Commerce Site - With Multiple Sub Categories

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wood1e

wood1e

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Hi, 

I have just started working with a client who sells printer inks amongst other products.

Anyway, so there are about 13 main categories and then some ink categories with 3 or even four levels deep sub categories!

Being that the inks are compatible, and he sells branded inks, but some sub categories has a few sub sub categories  one sub category has about 30 sub sub categories so the pop out menu is deeper than my 24 inch screen.

And if the visitor actually landed on that page, they would see a list of all that printer models so the sub category page with the product list one of the deepest page I have ever come across.

I think my issue is that there appears to be no work around, no better display process for the multitude of products one website could sell!! BUt if the client sell inks for every Canon printer model, how else could a printer make/model be displayed! ?

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,635 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

There are probably lots of ways to handle it, but there's no point in going crazy trying to reinvent the wheel. I'm sure your client isn't the only one who sells ink for a wide variety of printer models (or other similar type products). Try looking to see how office superstore sites and other ink suppliers handle it. When you find one that uses a method you find intuitive, attractive and easy to use, use it as inspiration for how to handle it on your client's site.

Many of my best design choices were "inspired" by something I found on someone else's site. (Just don't steal it outright. Seriously, use the other design as your launch pad, not as a template.)

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

• Jill and kientrucnoithatitalia01 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!