• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is Content Really King? (Split Topic)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Then you will always be chasing your tail.

Well, you might well say that, but a lot of legitimate sites got wiped out in Penguin and Panda too you know.

#17 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,013 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

And many of them using the SEO "advice" of "experts" and following the "SEO by numbers" approach.

#18 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,979 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

Well, you might well say that, but a lot of legitimate sites got wiped out in Penguin and Panda too you know.

Every site I have reviewed that got wiped out, I have found legitimate reasons for. And I have reviewed hundreds of them. 

#19 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Every site I have reviewed that got wiped out, I have found legitimate reasons for. And I have reviewed hundreds of them. 

I don't doubt that.

But what I'm saying is, a site that is done "properly" whatever "properly" is as that definition seems to change all the time, can still get wiped out.

That's why I'm saying, you should do whatever it takes to get ranked, because you could get kicked out by G no matter what anyway.

Edited by SelfMade, 16 January 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#20 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,979 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

But what I'm saying is, a site that is done "properly" whatever "properly" is as that definition seems to change all the time, can still get wiped out.

Nope. The problem is that they think they did it properly, but there were still tricks involved. Tricks that worked at one time, granted. But tricks no less. 

#21 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Your missing my point.

How do you or anyone else know what a "trick" is in the eyes of Google..you don't.

Your "prim & proper" SEO (which of course Isn't SEO) because you don't do "SEO" ....could get wiped out.

So what I'm saying is, you have to do what you have to do.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say, nobody "knows" what Google wants except what Matt Cutts "says".

Which brings me to my point of how an empty blog with ZERO content ranked number one on G for "make money online" with nothing but backlinks.

I know you don't think that ranking exists, but this guy was there on every machine I checked it on and everybody who knew about it was seeing the EXACT same thing.

You could debate "cookies" etc that google uses, except one of the machines I checked it on was my Nans, and she doesn't even know what an email is, let alone have a Gmail account or start searching for ways to make money online.

So it was as clean a machine as you can get.

No doubt people will say, it was within IP range etc..etc..but she lives some 500 miles away from where I do.

#22 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,979 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Google does make mistakes yes. The site you mention is no longer ranking, right? If not, they fixed their mistake. 

#23 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

I don't know. He might have developed it.

I can't remember what the domain was now, but I do remember it didn't even have that phrase in it.

I cannot believe you didn't hear of this?

It was all over the Internet.

People were talking about it everywhere.

He got his 15 minutes of fame, but boy, was that fame.

By the way, when I say "15 minutes" I mean almost 2 months.

It was literally EMPTY as EMPTY as EMPTY gets, it was a Default 2012 theme with "Make Money Online" as the Title and that was it.

Literally "hello world" was the blog post :D

But his backlinks, I don't know this for fact, but from the convo's going on, his backlinks were PURE spam.

Edited by SelfMade, 16 January 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#24 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,979 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

I do remember hearing of something like this right after one of the Google updates. 

Again, so what? They made a mistake and corrected it fairly quickly.

That's pretty good considering they're dealing with billions of pages.

#25 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,013 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

The upshot is:

A "well optimised site" will show no sign of any document on the site having been "optimised"

#26 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

The upshot is:

A "well optimised site" will show no sign of any document on the site having been "optimised"

No.

The upshot is Backlinks rank sites. Especially considering the guys Backlinking profile WAS pure spam on a default 2012 WP theme with the default non-descriptive "hello World" as the 1 single post.

Edited by SelfMade, 17 January 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#27 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,979 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Back links certainly do play a large part in how a site ranks. They also now can get sites (such as your example) penalized when they're not real votes for a site. 

#28 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

They also now can get sites (such as your example) penalized when they're not real votes for a site. 

I don't KNOW that it was penalized.

All I know is that I don't recognise it from the current search results.

But not recognising is not the same as saying it is no longer there.

The guy could have just developed it.

Since the staunch advocacy or non-advocacy that formulaic SEO is detrimental. Granted on it's OWN it's detrimental, that why backlinks come into force and play a lot more than what you guys here think with your content crusading.

Formulaic SEO is do X and get X results. Which is pointless.

Which means if I do Formulaic SEO along with the next 100 gazillion others, the only thing that makes my site better from an algo standpoint is A) vcontent and B) backlinks.

The concept of ghreat content is Flawed at best. Because the next guy caould have great content, what ever "great" content is, because nobody knows what that is except humans, even then one mans muck is another mans gold or whatever...however the saying goes.

Bot';s cannot decipher great content, and a bot is exactly what G is.

It can only go by what it see's on the page which is not emnough for all the reasons I gave above, which only leaves backlinks.

Backlinks is not spam

and spam is not backlinks. :D

I'm not saying your wrong, I could never say that, as you know far more than I do on the matter, which therin lies the problem.

Most SEO's are so deeply entrenched in the SEO mythical quagmire that your glasses can get steamed up. :shades:

I'm not an seo, I'm an affiliate marketer, with different objectives other than to try and do well in the serps.

Edited by SelfMade, 17 January 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#29 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,979 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Nobody said backlink are spam.

What I believe you're referring to is in another thread I said that link building is spam (usually).

But you aren't seeing the distinction.

Content on it's own will not do well in Google. Yes, you need backlinks. We all agree. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!