• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is Content Really King? (Split Topic)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

I've read that article about five times this week I even commented on it which you might have thought was spam..but...

I don't get this:

"While you can research keywords and pretty easily find those that get lots of searches, that only tells you a piece of the story. Those high-volume keyword phrases will also have thousands of variations that get searched upon -- many of which don't even show up in keyword research tools."

What about [exact] match?

Exact match is the only variable that I go onfor selecting a keyword to write out a blog post about.

So really, what your saying is content is king.

Content alone is not going to get you traffic or rankings for ANY keyword in any Variation, you need backlinks..right?..

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,410 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Content alone is not going to get you traffic or rankings for ANY keyword in any Variation, you need backlinks..right?..

There are a lot of "inner" URLs of very many websites that prove that idea wrong.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,660 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

It depends a lot on the level of competition for the keyword phrase and how you link to it from within your site.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,120 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

So really, what your saying is content is king.

That's not what I'm saying in this post. This post is about why you don't need to run automated ranking reports. It has nothing to do with content being king.

#5 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Oh maaan,

You guys have changed.

I know your old schoolers, but hello, we are actually in 2013 noooowwwww?

So far, from what I've read:

Content is king, backlinking is the devil, don't do any SEO for fear of leaving a: "Quote chrishirst" : a footbrint as big as the iceburg that hit the titanic and god forbid you ever buy an exact match domain(!)

So really, we should build a site with awesome content that nobody is ever going to see because you can't (or shouldn't) do seo, Google is not going to care because your domain is irrelevant will just sit there.

I know! ooh, ooh, lets build out a site and let's all just just let it sit there and all die of starvation with our heads held high safe in the knowledge that we didn't game G....

:fool:

Edited by SelfMade, 14 January 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,660 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Uh, where are you getting this? No one is saying a site doesn't need to be promoted. We're saying 1. that ranking reports don't give you very useful information, and 2. that the kind of link building that a lot of SEOs have done over the years is spam and shouldn't be expected to work anymore.

Edited by qwerty, 14 January 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#7 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

I'm getting it from here.

Reading through.

I came here again wanting to learn about SEO, but I'm now MORE confused than I was before I got here.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,120 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I came here again wanting to learn about SEO, but I'm now MORE confused than I was before I got here.

Thats because you really came because you thought SEO was the equivalent of spam, and you were really looking for shortcuts on how you can spam more effectively. You won't find that info here. 

#9 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

No.

What are you suggesting Jill? :disguise:

No not at all.

I can't believe that.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,410 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

SEO today summed up in three lines.

SEO is about getting the best performance (optimal)  from the traffic that your URLs  get from your promotion and marketing work.

SEO is NOT "link building"

"Link building" is NOT SEO.

Edited by chrishirst, 14 January 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#11 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,715 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Content is king, backlinking is the devil, don't do any SEO for fear of leaving a: "Quote chrishirst" : a footbrint as big as the iceburg that hit the titanic and god forbid you ever buy an exact match domain(!)

This is the kind of all-or-nothing catastrophizing that does confuse a lot of folks. Somebody says, "Getting thousands of links from low-quality 'directories' is probably not going to help you these days," and all of a sudden the Chicken Littles come streaming out of the woodwork declaring "All links are worthless!"

"Content is king"

As Qwerty said, nobody here is saying you shouldn't promote your website. And as Jill said, nobody here is saying "content is king" (at least, not in the sense that all you have to do is create awesome content and everything else will fall into your lap automatically).

Good content has always been an important component of real SEO as we advocate here. Crappy, keyword-stuffed, "spun" articles that were written strictly to attract search engine spiders have never been a good idea in our book. Nothing there has changed in the advice we've been giving since I joined this forum in 2003.

"Backlinking is the devil"

Likewise, we've always been in favor of getting good links from high-quality pages. Nothing lately has changed that, either. There's nothing wrong with back links. There's not even anything necessarily wrong with reciprocal links, as long as there's a good reason for the two pages to link to each other.

It should be noted, though, "getting higher rankings" is not a  good reason to trade links. "Your page offers good information that my visitors would find useful" is a good reason to link to another page. I'd argue it's the only reason you should link to a page. If it happens that the site owner at the other end thinks the same thing about your page and chooses to link back to it, that's not a problem. Never has been and I doubt it ever will be.

"Don't do any SEO"

Puh-leeze. None of the moderators or administrators here has ever said that. What they have said is that you don't want to do crappy, obvious SEO. You know -- the home page that declares: "We have a great Denver area web design company that offers excellent Denver web design services to customers all over Denver who are seeking locally-created Denver web designs." With a zillion backlinks from a zillion crappy "directories" and comment spam on a zillion splogs and poorly moderated forums, all with the anchor text "Denver web design."

That would be a footprint as big as the iceberg that sank Titanic.

But, you know, that was never SEO in the first place. At least not as we've ever defined SEO here. The "O" of "SEO" stands for "optimization." That is, making something the best it can be. And that kind of crap, which has been passing for SEO in some circles, was never about making things even marginally better, much less the best they can be.

The best SEO doesn't look like SEO. That's what Chrishirst was talking about. There is nothing wrong with optimizing a page -- in fact, that's what you should do -- but when it becomes obvious not only that the page has been "optimized" but exactly what phrase(s) it's been "optimized" for, then the line has been crossed.

"God forbid you ever buy an exact match domain(!)"

And finally, if an exact match domain makes sense for your business, go for it. But you need to keep in mind that the folks at Google have already said they're specifically targeting exact match domains, so when you buy it you need to keep your expectations reasonable. You're not going to shoot to the top of the rankings and stay there just because you have an exact match domain. In fact, in light of what Google has said, you may even be making your job more difficult by using a keyworded-domain rather than going for something brandable.

We wouldn't be doing a responsible job here if we didn't point this out to people. Sadly, there are a lot of folks out there who are still operating under the idea that all they need to do is have a keyword in their domain name and they'll automatically rank well for that keyword. And a lot of them never consider things like: what happens if you change your business model so the keyword in your domain no longer applies? Are you prepared to start all over from scratch, or would it be better for your business to have a brandable domain so you can change your business focus at any time without launching a whole new domain?

So we try to educate them, bring them up to speed, make sure they know what they're potentially getting themselves in to.

But if you understand all the potential ramifications -- not just SEO-related, but business evolution, branding and marketing implications as well -- and you're ready to put in the work it takes to promote it, then by all means buy whatever domain you want.

Reality Check

Paint-by-numbers "SEO" doesn't work as well today as it used to. Does it still work sometimes? Absolutely. Are the folks at Google and Bing and Baidu and elsewhere working to ensure it works less and less well in the future? From what I've seen, I believe so. Is there a future in the kind of algo-chasing, rules-based, formulaic "optimization tactics" such as have been promoted on some venues (not here) in the past? Not if you're interested in building solid traffic and conversions that will keep your business humming on into the future. Does that mean people shouldn't do SEO at all? No, just that they shouldn't do crappy so-called "SEO." Which is exactly the same thing we've been saying here since 2003.

Does your list of statements bear even a passing resemblance to anything the moderators or administrators have said here, ever? Not even close.

--Torka :propeller:

• qwerty and DiviFernando like this

#12 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Great post!

Except, your looking at it from the perspective of you as an SEO company.

Your not looking at it from the point of view of the Average affiliate Marketer....

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,120 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Your not looking at it from the point of view of the Average affiliate Marketer....

How so? 

Something tells me that the best affiliate marketers (the most successful in the wake of Panda/Penguin) are doing exactly what Torka talked about.

#14 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

That depends who you mean by "best".

And it also depends what you mean by best too.

Affiliate marketing is all about speed.

Whilst I agree with Torka's sensible CEO approach, it's a million miles away from where I'm at.

Edited by SelfMade, 15 January 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#15 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,120 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Whilst I agree with Torka's sensible CEO approach, it's a million miles away from where I'm at.

Then you will always be chasing your tail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!