• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Analytics Appending Page Name To Rewritten Urls

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chilluk

chilluk

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

We have switched our URL structure from /Category.asp?CID=123 to /category/blue_widgets_123/

Now in Google Analytics the new URLs are being reported as /category/blue_widgets_123/default.asp

Default.asp was setup as our default page name in the profile and was also the old physical home page file name, but I have changed both to Default.aspx, albeit all internal URLs and a redirect rule make the site home page just www.example.com/

Anyway why on earth is GA appending the default.asp and any ideas how we make it stop please?!

#2 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Just guessing here. I would not expect analytics to be fudging with the URLs. However, I have seen CMS systems that create variations of URLs caused by the menu and article system which as a layperson you don't see (or notice) but the crawler finds.  Follow the URLs that GA is reporting to see if they take you to live pages.  Perhaps ???

#3 chilluk

chilluk

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

It's not the CMS making those URLs - it's a custom written site so I know they don't exist like that - just seems weird that whats being appened was the default page setup in GA.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,714 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

IIS will add the default document to a request URI that ends with / as it does the internal redirect.

#5 chilluk

chilluk

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

Hiow do we stop this? I can't see that happening client side using Firebug or Chrome Developer Tools though?

Edit : I changed the default document in GA profile and it changed the reported URLs - I have now removed it completely and will see how that goes.

Edited by chilluk, 16 January 2013 - 04:59 AM.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,714 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

You don't, it is just how it works,

I can't see that happening client side using Firebug or Chrome Developer Tools though?

You won't because it is an "internal", Google analytics "sees" it, because it is attached to the response URI rather than the request URI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!