• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Subcategory Or Parent Only In Url

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 newhat

newhat

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Sorry to see you too are suffering from a colossal spam problem (I've had to ban several countries and service providers.)

So here is the age old question. I'm creating a new site and am stuck wondering which is optimal for our Joomla or Drupal site:

mysite.com/reviews/restaurants/la-bella-vita   or

mysite.com/reviews/la-bella-vita or maybe neither:

mysite.com/la-bella-vita

There are benefits of each and iI've always used the latter. What I've not liked about #2 is that it omits the logical flow of the site even though one can place the article as both an item within the parent category and subcategory. At the same time, I've occasionally used multiple subcategories so using the parent category seemed possibly more logical. #3 is used by many although I am certain that the categories won't change. Yes, there is a small chance of duplication of URLs which I'd prefer to avoid but it's not fatal.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are these days regarding these three structures. There definitely are differences. I prefer discussing here rather than at Google where information can sometimes be not what it seems. 

Edited by kgerson, 14 January 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

IMO the shorter the better. 

#3 newhat

newhat

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Much appreciated. My gut feeling was the same and it's how I have most of my sites, logical paths throughout or not.

Edited by kgerson, 15 January 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#4 ElvisH

ElvisH

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

if your intention is to focus on "resterants reviews" KW (KeyWords) and phrases I would say add the "review/s" at the end
- mysite.com/la-bella-whatever-reviews
if your website deals with other niches:
- mysite.com/restaurants-reviews/la-bella-vita

#5 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Yes, I agree with Jill although I need to  be careful, I think I did that a couple of times previously.

Short, snappy and memorable wins every time. The only reservation that I have is why the fixation with Hyphens.

Automatically using hyphens (IMO) is not good practice and also creates uncertainty when verbally referring a URL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!